Radio Model for UCA (analog) only?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aggies087

I am a newbie here, and after reading through much of the great data on this site still cannot determine which radio to get. I am looking for the most economical option, including looking at used, that will get the UCA analog signals. I understand i'll be missing a few digital channels but at the increased cost i'm ok foregoing those for the moment. I also know that i'll need a radio capable of trunking and rebanding.

I live right in the middle of Davis County and will primarily be monitoring public safety in Davis County, occasionally Weber/Salt Lake/UHP. Any recommendations for the cheapest option?

Aggies087

Ok thanks. I guess I’ll have to bite the bullet. Is the expectation that after the digital switch most channels will remain unencrypted?

pmstewart

Premium Subscriber
Aggies087 - Are you looking for a hand held portable or for a base type unit desk use?

There are quite a few posts in the forums and on the internet about using software radios and they are quite inexpensive to setup
(Although I've thought about trying one the suggestion is offered without personal experience)

Premium Subscriber
Agreed... Look into the Software Defined Radios or SDR.
Software Defined Radio

May seem overwhelming at first, but once you play around with it for a few, it is actually pretty cool.

Very inexpensive option as well.

Aggies087

Agreed... Look into the Software Defined Radios or SDR.
Software Defined Radio

May seem overwhelming at first, but once you play around with it for a few, it is actually pretty cool.

Very inexpensive option as well.
Thanks! I just ordered a couple, looking forward to figuring it out....lots to learn!

Reading through the minutes of UCA meetings, it sounds like the full transition to digital will come but it’s going to take a while. I may still end up looking for a cheap handheld to use in the meantime.

Spadinator

I have a Pro-164 that works great on analog stuff. I also have a Pro-651 that is somewhat a clone of the Gre 500. The Gre is a better brand but more expensive.

Aggies087

I have a Pro-164 that works great on analog stuff. I also have a Pro-651 that is somewhat a clone of the Gre 500. The Gre is a better brand but more expensive.
Thanks. The Pro-164 looks like a good option. When I was reading up on it I saw the Pro-96 which looks like an older model but offers APCO 25 digital tuning, and can be had on ebay for ~$200. Any thoughts on that? If I could go digital for ~$200 I would do it, otherwise something like the Pro-164 at under $100 looks like the winner.

Status
Not open for further replies.