Radio Net For Scanner Listeners

Status
Not open for further replies.

E5911

Premium Subscriber
LOOKING FOR OPINIONS ON A PROJECT-

I am thinking of starting a group for southern NV AZ and S Ca for like minded folks who might be interested in joining a radio network on TeamTalk. it is a regional 450 passpoprt trunked system we would theortically have 3 talkgroups on or one common for folks to exchange infomation on breaking incidents, frequency info and general chat. The cost would be about $30 per month plus the cost of a radio. There are similar groups back east, but with the wildland fires and chases that span wide areas I thought a regional approach would be cool. I do not have hard details, but if there is interest I will pursue it.

KDX3CB

The concept is great, but after you figure the cost of a radio, licensing, and area covered/range of radios- wouldnt Nextel be a better route?

E5911

Premium Subscriber

no cost but access to the system, and a radio. I would theorectically handle setting up the talk groups, and the organization.

Various radios are available icom, moto, etc I am going to check on used gear.

I have thought of nextel, or alltel, or verizon PTT systems, what about that ?

KDX3CB

Im currently a member of the incident command page and its essentially that same thing you're thinking of doing. However, I still like the idea of voice transmissions vs. text (what ICP uses). Great minds think alike, and together your idea might go well with ICP. I'd give them a shout and see what they say.

Chad (ICP556)

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
ICP did have a dedicated radio channel back in the day. Used to listen to it to get a jump on things. One day one of the dispatchers got on and was screaming into the mic for someone, ANYONE to respond. Naturally this piqued my interest. Finally, after several frantic attempts he managed to raise someone so he could report his huge breaking news: Bruce Haffner was wearing an ICP hat on TV. :roll: :D
-AZ

E5911

Premium Subscriber
radio net for scanner listeners

ok folks here is the skinny:

I spoke to Fisher people, got a demo, the system could initially be set up with 2 TGs and private call is available, also car to car off the trunk, there is a catch, everything would have to be set up here in yuma. They have had issues withe cooperating dealers, and perfer to set up all radios here. new icoms can be purchased for about $300 but they could program any radio that is UHF LTR passport cabable. Because this would be a "group" , and not a bussiness we could get a negociated rate. I would act as the system admin. The more subscibers the better the rate.

I asked about busys, they occur mostly during the winter farming season(the sytem was designed for salianas offices to speak to field workers in Yuma.) Busys are being addressed with additional frequencies at the mountain tops.

System is analog and microwave covers the entire network, Tucson to north of Sacramento, including ti Colorado River and Vegas. so there is a slght delay. All sites are backed up with generators.

As was said before this is a LTR Passport system.

Communications on the talk group would be more formal than informal if there was a number of subscribers. I get paid to be a fire dispatcher so I have no patience for informal rag chewing. If there is enough interest, We could branch to 3 or four talk groups regionally, (n-ca, s-ca, AZ and NV) plus a regional-wide net.

All users would have a id number assigned to them . The Fisher people will quote me used radio prices or will take your radio and program it on the system for you. There will be a programming charge. All billing at this point will be done individually in the name of the group. (IE john smith for the "group") and you will have your own bill. However there will likely be a user agreement you will have to sign so we can dump deadbeats off the system. or other problem children. I intend to see what kind of discount we can get for paying one year in advance. Air time is unlimited, and there would be no lic needed for car to car channels.

Like i said this at this point is just a idea, i got 3 radios to demo, will use them here in yuma till i get a idea weather this bird will have wings or not. i figure 10 subscibers will be needed for start up, i figure I we can get 25 or more spread out we could have some fun . I feel it would be great to actually speak to some of the people I post with.

See the website for more details:
http://www.teamtalknetwork.com/index.htm

sorry about typos--in a sort of hurry

E5911

Premium Subscriber

Ok

I have gotten some intrest so here we go. PM me if you would want to sign up, i need at least 10 to start.

Reminders Each account is $30/mo, but I may be able to lower the price when we get started. Radios are $200 new for icom, but I found 5 icom mobiles for $50 ea on a sale site. the will look for used eqipment, I have not gotten a quote. $30 to program if you buy from Fisher, $50 if you bring them a radio to program.
Access will be to 2 Tgs and private call, also a talk around.

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.