Stations Radio New Zealand International 7245khz

Status
Not open for further replies.

MTScannerNut

Been picking up Radio NZ here in NW Montana clearer than just about any other station I tune to. This is on my new Icom R8600 and a 60’ random wire just strung along my roof overhang.

majoco

Stirrer
Mostly RNZ's tranmissions are aimed at the Pacific Islands so on the west coast of the US you're getting the 'overthrow'! A lot of the times they are just a re-broadcast of our domestic National programme - you'll hear them say "RNZ National".

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
I hear it most mornings.. Just tuned it in 11:40 UTC (using a Welbrook loop). +20dB.

But right now, there's an amateur radio net interfering. Lots of strong SSB signals. See--> Intro Page (I don't know why international broadcasters still use 40 meters below 7.300 Mhz).

And yes.. Even with the internet and all... After many years of listening, I'm still amazed that a radio signal can make it all this way.

Last edited:

Boombox

RNZI is quite dependable, it was one of the few overseas stations audible during the solar minimum. Good programming, too. Last time I heard them they were doing in depth reporting on the corona situation in Fiji, and vaccination program in PNG.

KB2GOM

[QUOTE="jwt873, post: 3527500, member: 938049"

And yes.. Even with the internet and all... After many years of listening, I'm still amazed that a radio signal can make it all this way.
[/QUOTE]

27,000 thumbs up!

Forget all this stuff about megahertz and kilohertz and resonant frequencies; it's just pure magic.

I'd rather here it badly antenna-to-antenna at 8562 kilometers than crystal clear through an internet connection.

air-scan

What type of antenna setup did you use for that?
just the 23ft wire antenna that came with the CC Skywave SSB and I also ran a counterpoise at 15ft long from the mini-b connector. Also, there is no DX/Local switch on the CC Sywave SSB. It's just one setting....HOT! It has good bandwidth filtering and good AGC resulting no to little side splatter.

Last edited:

Direwolf131

Premium Subscriber
I catch RNZI on every radio I run, an R75 connected to RF-Systems EMF run out the window to a large white pine, and the following, Tecsun PL-880, Degen 1103, Grundig Yacht Boy 400, Sangean 803A, and a recently obtained Tecsun H501x, all of the portables via their whip antennas from far northwestern Wisconsin in the national forest about 30 miles as the crow flies south of lake Superior.....

w2xq

Mentor

W0JOG

Hams from Australia regularly make schedules on 40 meters with American hams about 6:30 CST daily our time.

When I worked at WHO in Des Moines (1040 clear channel) we regularly QSLed Australian listeners on our night-time signal in the 1950s-1960s.

Pray for more sun spots!

Vern

KB2GOM

just the 23ft wire antenna that came with the CC Skywave SSB and I also ran a counterpoise at 15ft long from the mini-b connector. Also, there is no DX/Local switch on the CC Sywave SSB. It's just one setting....HOT! It has good bandwidth filtering and good AGC resulting no to little side splatter.

How, exactly, did you hook up the counterpoise? I would like to give that a try.

GB46

RNZI comes in here in BC first thing every morning from 13:00 to approx. 15:30 UTC. That's on my ATS-909X with either its whip or 23 ft. of wire. The R75 picks it up even stronger, but I prefer the portable's audio for AM signals.

At times I can even hear RNZI on my R6 scanner with just the rubber duck antenna, although weaker, of course. The scanner covers all the HF bands, but isn't really intended for shortwave listening.

KB2GOM

At times I can even hear RNZI on my R6 scanner with just the rubber duck antenna, although weaker, of course. The scanner covers all the HF bands, but isn't really intended for shortwave listening.

Wow! Impressive. I would not have bet that was possible, but this am I heard the time signal -- 3330 -- on my CCrane Skywave SSB with the whip antenna totally collapsed, and I wouldn't have bet on that either.

GB46

Wow! Impressive. I would not have bet that was possible, but this am I heard the time signal -- 3330 -- on my CCrane Skywave SSB with the whip antenna totally collapsed, and I wouldn't have bet on that either.
The thing about AM on the scanner is that it tends to have too much circuit hiss for comfortable listenng to weak AM stations, since the squelch needs to be kept open due to fading.

As for the 3330 time signal, that's CHU in Ontario. I used to hear it when I lived in New Jersey as a kid (they were announcing the time as Eastern Standard back then), but I've never been able to hear it on that frequency in BC. I can get it occasionally on 7850, and more rarely on 14670 -- but with a weak signal in both cases. I remember naively asking someone if he knew the man who had sat down and recorded a whole 24 hours worth of individual minutes. His reply: "I used to know that guy; we went to different schools together." I was sorry I asked. :LOL:

Boombox

^^^^^^ They changed the 41 meter frequency from 7245 Khz to 7390 Khz probably in October, I'm guessing.

RE: overall reception: These newer DSP SW portables maximize what you can get off the whip. With my Grundig G2, sometimes I hear SW stations with just a foot or less of whip antenna extended, and it will pull in stations as well as my DX-398 gets them with a 25 ft. indoor wire. If there's overloading, I just reduce the length of the whip, and SW stations still come in well.

I think it's because many (if not most) of these DSP chips have a pretty robust RF amp in their front end (before the analog to digital conversion).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.