Radio on top of dashboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DaveNF2G

I noticed a fellow ham using a surprisingly effective technique to keep his transceiver on top of the dashboard in his pickup truck. It is being held in place by a non-skid shelf liner. I've ridden around with him in the truck and watched the radio. It never moves a bit, around corners or over bumps. A roll of this kind of shelf liner can be obtained at Wal-Mart for around 5 dollars.

K9WG

Hey, that was me!

No, just kidding but I use to put my 2-meter on the dash of my 92 S-10 with the non skid liners. The dash was flat and had a slight slope to to making it ideal for a radio. Only problem is the sun tends to overheat it.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
I'd only put a rig on the dash as a last resort. It could still become a projectile in an accident no matter how securely it's mounted. And its removal everytime I park the car to avoid theft would be a hassle. I suppose personal preference and installation skill level have a lot to do with it also. As long as you're having fun right?

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
Yikes, I wouldn't put anything on my dashboard. "Having friction" is not the same as "secure." I don't even put my cell phone anywhere in the dashboard area.

kb9hgi

Feed Provider
I have mine on the dashboard but I use heavy duty velcro. I don't think it's very good on the dash too much hot sun. I lost the RX audio on my radio but I plug a extrenal speaker in and works fine. I have 2 jeep grand cherokee's and they are not radio friendly!

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Keep in mind that thieves LOVE easy access equipment! The dash is advertising your hard earned money!
Not really a secure mounting option.

n9zas

N5TWB

I have the remote head for my ICOM ID-800 mounted in the tray above the in-dash broadcast radio. It is mounted with screws so I'm certain it will stay in place and I had my wife make a decorative cover for it to shield it from the direct sun. It's worked well for almost 5 years.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
I will never forget the time I mounted my RS 2042 on the dash in Houston, Texas during the summertime. That is one mistake I won't repeat. To be honest, it took less than 45 minutes to melt the plastic housing. RS had a replacement for the top half of the cabinet, but not the bottom half. Oh, well, live and learn.

reedeb

My ham rigs I mounted under the dash my scanne went into the dash and an old Cb went on top of the dash [usually bolted in thru the dash]. Hot weather I would put something white over the CB when parked and kept it cooler.

freqs

In some states a Cop may have a issue with something of size on the dash .I know in Michigan you will get a ticket for things hanging from the Mirror .

twjr80

Feed Provider
I had a cb radio mounted on my pickup dashboard once and after a brutal Texas summer, the radio no longer transmitted and the wx channels did not work.

If you live in an area that doesn't have hot summers, exposing your equipment to everyone that walks by your vehicle can be a concern. Things left out in the open catch people's eyes faster than a radio mounted by a console.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
In some states a Cop may have a issue with something of size on the dash .I know in Michigan you will get a ticket for things hanging from the Mirror .

To avoid that sort of ticket, simply point out the dash and visor mounted equipment which obstructs the officers view? This got some tickets dropped here in illinois last year.

n9zas

Nap

If you think that in case of a collision it can only fly forward... think again on what can happen if you're T-boned and it slips over the airbag compartment.

D

DaveNF2G

Just to clarify, I didn't post this observation to encourage such a mounting technique. An interesting discussion has ensued, which is all I really intended.

Status
Not open for further replies.