Radio operators ‘vital’ to emergency response

Status
Not open for further replies.

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
I know that you want hits to your website, for whatever reason, but it would probably be more appropriate if you're going to post about it in the forums that you post directly to the article.

elk2370bruce

Its nice to see that amateur radio operators are indeed providing emergency communications services at the request of Emergency Management and public safety agencies have some recognition and respect for what they do. In a previous thread, the naysayers did not seem to understand proactive citizenship, training and community service. I hope that they take a look at the clip and learn that we're not a bunch of cop wanna-be's.

mikepdx

In a SHTF scenario (beyond major disaster),
the low-life neighborhood Ham with that obnoxious tower
WILL suddenly become one of the most sought after
people in a neighborhood when it's learned that HE and HE ALONE
may be the only source of news and information on their loved one's
fates, and possibly the fate of their Country.

God Bless America.

elk2370bruce

In a SHTF scenario (beyond major disaster),
the low-life neighborhood Ham with that obnoxious tower
WILL suddenly become one of the most sought after
people in a neighborhood when it's learned that HE and HE ALONE
may be the only source of news and information on their loved one's
fates, and possibly the fate of their Country.

God Bless America.

What a load of bovine feces. He could be a useful resource if he were not treated like a lowlife by a member of the local constabulary. Amateur radio is just one tool that can be used if the leadership of public safety asked him to be part of the solution. Grumpy old street cops who have been moved inside don't count for squat.

N0IU

By this time I am sure we have all heard about the twin tornadoes that wiped out nearly three quarters of the town of Pilger, Nebraska. Its a really small town of about 350 people in the northeast part of the state.

This morning on a local radio program in St. Louis, the host of the show was talking live to a reporter from KOIL (an AM radio station in Omaha) who was in Pilger. What was so amazing about this? They were doing the interview via Skype! Three quarters of this town in rural north east Nebraska is gone... but there was still cellular service.

Just sayin'...

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
You're just as useful ... even MORE so if you happen to have a chainsaw, be handy with it, and keep your handheld radio in your pocket until it's needed.
In a stressful event such as a tornado or flood, the last thing a resident needs after losing their home is some fruit with a radio, running around, trying to use their ares, or cert credentials. IF you're not willing to get, clear roads from debris, get wet and dirty, stay home! :roll:

n9zas

mikepdx

What a load of bovine feces. He could be a useful resource if he were not treated like a lowlife by a member of the local constabulary. Amateur radio is just one tool that can be used if the leadership of public safety asked him to be part of the solution. Grumpy old street cops who have been moved inside don't count for squat.

As far as I'm concerned, the local government control freaks
can butt out if I or my neighbors were in such a situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.