Radio options for Bay Area

Status
Not open for further replies.

mangelo2407

HI im a newbie and I was all set to buy a $800 sds100 for scanning the Bay Area and surrounding counties as I drive a truck during the week. Anyway upon further review of the ongoing encrypting of local departments im REALLY reconsidering my purchase .......with that said Im wondering if I should forego the sds100 and pickup something more reasonable $$ or just go for it !!$$ , since it is the best there is currently , I just dont know ....what are my fellow bay area peeps useing and doing ??
thanks all :)

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
What is your budget and what is it you want to listen to?

There's still a lot of fire stuff on VHF analog. Lots of businesses on analog, also. But, yeah, a lot of the large regional trunked systems are going to be encrypted.

Maybe try out the scanner app for your phone first, to see if you can hear what you want to, if someone is streaming it.

mangelo2407

What is your budget and what is it you want to listen to?

There's still a lot of fire stuff on VHF analog. Lots of businesses on analog, also. But, yeah, a lot of the large regional trunked systems are going to be encrypted.

Maybe try out the scanner app for your phone first, to see if you can hear what you want to, if someone is streaming it.
Well I want too hear fire/police and ems stuff everything else is a bonus and I’m will to spend $5-600 ish dollars if need be , and I have been listening to Broadcastify it’s pretty good and if the sds100 can pick up the same kinda stuff that would be cool , but I would also like to
Know what you all use and hear too
Thanks for the reply

nokoa3116

HI im a newbie and I was all set to buy a $800 sds100 for scanning the Bay Area and surrounding counties as I drive a truck during the week. Anyway upon further review of the ongoing encrypting of local departments im REALLY reconsidering my purchase .......with that said Im wondering if I should forego the sds100 and pickup something more reasonable $$ or just go for it !!$$ , since it is the best there is currently , I just dont know ....what are my fellow bay area peeps useing and doing ??
thanks all :)
Listening to Santa Clara County is kind of useless at this point because it's only fire and EMS, scanner just sits there quiet most of the time. East Bay is all open right now, but will also eventually go encrypted. San Mateo County is currently mostly UHF analog and open but would also eventually go encrypted. San Francisco is open for the very moment, but is also going encrypted sometime during the summer.

You will only have Fire and EMS once everything is encrypted, which could take up to 3 years or so. I have an sds100, I also had a BCD436HP until I broke it. The BCD436HP should also be good. However some of the digital systems are Simulcast, which the scanner doesn't perform the best in. The SDS100 does do better with those systems, but is more expensive. I prefer the BCD436HP, I feel like its speaker is better, analog quality is also better. it has several features such as keypad lock, and per channel squelch that SDS 100 no longer has. The SDS 100 has a nice colored screen, and the better simulcast performance.

I also used Software Defined Radios in the Bay Area, using softwares such as SDRTrunk, and OP25.

Reception of certain systems is limited in different areas. The trunked systems such as SVRCS in the Santa Clara County, and EBRCS, in Alameda and Contra Costa Counties, can be picked up well enough a bit outside the counties. I am able to monitor the South West site of EBRCS in Sunnyvale. But picking up the Type 2 Smartzone San Francisco system in Sunnyvale even with good antennas yielded poor quality. While digitally the control channel was able to be decoded the analog audio was poor, and unusable. Additionally monitoring San Mateo County analog PD channels, such as East Palo Alto, San Mateo, etc was also poor, and unusable in Sunnyvale, this was using a Motorola XTS 5000.

Despite all this, I love my Uniden scanner, I use it all the time, when traveling, driving around, and at home. Some of the Broadcastify feeds are really good. The San Jose Fire feed I believe is an official feed, and the quality of the decoded P25 audio is as good as it gets. It also monitors the dispatch talkgroup, and all the command talkgroups at the same time. While a scanner can only actively play one talkgroup at a time. San Mateo county lacks feeds on Broadcastify. San Francisco didn't really have good feeds, they also recently went offline I believe. I can only pick up San Francisco well while in San Francisco.

It all depends on what and where exactly you want to use it. If you are fine with just Fire & EMS then it could be a good investment, but just be aware that California is basically requiring all law enforcement agencies to encrypt their radios.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Good info above, more than I could have provided.

CHP is still in the clear. But you'll need an antenna outside the truck, and preferably one designed for low band VHF. In general, using any hand held scanner inside the vehicle is going to be less ideal that having one with a good antenna on the outside.
CalFire is still clear.

mangelo2407

Listening to Santa Clara County is kind of useless at this point because it's only fire and EMS, scanner just sits there quiet most of the time. East Bay is all open right now, but will also eventually go encrypted. San Mateo County is currently mostly UHF analog and open but would also eventually go encrypted. San Francisco is open for the very moment, but is also going encrypted sometime during the summer.

You will only have Fire and EMS once everything is encrypted, which could take up to 3 years or so. I have an sds100, I also had a BCD436HP until I broke it. The BCD436HP should also be good. However some of the digital systems are Simulcast, which the scanner doesn't perform the best in. The SDS100 does do better with those systems, but is more expensive. I prefer the BCD436HP, I feel like its speaker is better, analog quality is also better. it has several features such as keypad lock, and per channel squelch that SDS 100 no longer has. The SDS 100 has a nice colored screen, and the better simulcast performance.

I also used Software Defined Radios in the Bay Area, using softwares such as SDRTrunk, and OP25.

Reception of certain systems is limited in different areas. The trunked systems such as SVRCS in the Santa Clara County, and EBRCS, in Alameda and Contra Costa Counties, can be picked up well enough a bit outside the counties. I am able to monitor the South West site of EBRCS in Sunnyvale. But picking up the Type 2 Smartzone San Francisco system in Sunnyvale even with good antennas yielded poor quality. While digitally the control channel was able to be decoded the analog audio was poor, and unusable. Additionally monitoring San Mateo County analog PD channels, such as East Palo Alto, San Mateo, etc was also poor, and unusable in Sunnyvale, this was using a Motorola XTS 5000.

Despite all this, I love my Uniden scanner, I use it all the time, when traveling, driving around, and at home. Some of the Broadcastify feeds are really good. The San Jose Fire feed I believe is an official feed, and the quality of the decoded P25 audio is as good as it gets. It also monitors the dispatch talkgroup, and all the command talkgroups at the same time. While a scanner can only actively play one talkgroup at a time. San Mateo county lacks feeds on Broadcastify. San Francisco didn't really have good feeds, they also recently went offline I believe. I can only pick up San Francisco well while in San Francisco.

It all depends on what and where exactly you want to use it. If you are fine with just Fire & EMS then it could be a good investment, but just be aware that California is basically requiring all law enforcement agencies to encrypt their radios.
Wow thanks 🙏🏼, and while the sds100 is awesome the only reason I’m considering it is for the simulcast abilities and if this going to be obsolete soon for police stuff maybe I should look again at something more affordable to get my kicks lol , wh1040 ect , this is becoming a tougher decision then I anticipated:/
Thanks again for the info

ECPD279

Premium Subscriber
If you don't need the simulcast features of the SDS series, you'd do just fine with a BCD325P2 (handheld) or a BCD996P2 (mobile). I personally run both the SDS series and the BCD series radios, and the receive is marginally better on the BCDs when listening to analog channels. With simulcast digital systems though, there is literally no comparison as the SDS radios outperform older radios every time.

The BCD series radios are well within your price range, and are fine radios if you're not worried about simulcast reception. They're Phase II capable so they're current tech and they'll be able to listen to any non-encrypted traffic you want to hear.

Nothing beats my old as dirt BC-780 for VHF fire though! Full quieting on traffic that won't even break the squelch on the digital radios.

mangelo2407

And as I’m listening to Broadcastify for the time being it’s got me thinking if a physical scanner can compete with the reception of the internet??? Opinions please

nokoa3116

Wow thanks 🙏🏼, and while the sds100 is awesome the only reason I’m considering it is for the simulcast abilities and if this going to be obsolete soon for police stuff maybe I should look again at something more affordable to get my kicks lol , wh1040 ect , this is becoming a tougher decision then I anticipated:/
Thanks again for the info
I haven't had the opportunity to work with a Whistler scanner yet, just make sure that you get a scanner that is capable of monitoring the systems you want to monitor.

• SVRCS in Santa Clara County is P25 Trunked Phase 2
  • EBRCS currently P25 Trunked Phase 1, in the process of upgrading to Phase 2
  • SF current system is a Motorola Type 2 Smartzone, but is in the transition process with a new live and patched P25 Trunked Phase 2 system
  • San Mateo County Radio System is currently P25 Trunked Phase 1 for San Mateo County Sheriff, County EMS, and a few others. I am not really aware of the future plans for this system
  • San Mateo County fire is analog VHF
  • Santa Clara County fire is patched with analog VHF, and the trunked P25 talkgroup on SVRCS. Command 72, is only on VHF analog
  • CHP is analog at the 30-40 something mhz
  • CalFire analog VHF
  • San Mateo County Law UHF analog
  • Santa Cruz County VHF Analog

P25 Phase 1 was available to most of the newer scanners, however Phase 2 is somewhat newer, not available to all scanners, and the ones that do have it increase the price of the scanner significantly. BCD436HP, and SDS100 both have P25 Phase 2 capability. Whistler TRX-1 and TRX-2 do support it also. ( Motorola P25 Phase I & II, X2-TDMA )

The Whistler WS1040 does NOT have P25 Phase 2 capabilities. It will not be able to play audio for SVRCS, and the new SF system.

mangelo2407

I haven't had the opportunity to work with a Whistler scanner yet, just make sure that you get a scanner that is capable of monitoring the systems you want to monitor.

• SVRCS in Santa Clara County is P25 Trunked Phase 2
  • EBRCS currently P25 Trunked Phase 1, in the process of upgrading to Phase 2
  • SF current system is a Motorola Type 2 Smartzone, but is in the transition process with a new live and patched P25 Trunked Phase 2 system
  • San Mateo County Radio System is currently P25 Trunked Phase 1 for San Mateo County Sheriff, County EMS, and a few others. I am not really aware of the future plans for this system
  • San Mateo County fire is analog VHF
  • Santa Clara County fire is patched with analog VHF, and the trunked P25 talkgroup on SVRCS. Command 72, is only on VHF analog
  • CHP is analog at the 30-40 something mhz
  • CalFire analog VHF
  • San Mateo County Law UHF analog
  • Santa Cruz County VHF Analog

P25 Phase 1 was available to most of the newer scanners, however Phase 2 is somewhat newer, not available to all scanners, and the ones that do have it increase the price of the scanner significantly. BCD436HP, and SDS100 both have P25 Phase 2 capability. Whistler TRX-1 and TRX-2 do support it also. ( Motorola P25 Phase I & II, X2-TDMA )

The Whistler WS1040 does NOT have P25 Phase 2 capabilities. It will not be able to play audio for SVRCS, and the new SF system.
Again , great information, thank you Im seriously considering the BCD436hp :)

Eng74

I almost use my SDS-100 the entire time I am in the Bay Area, especially for the trucked systems. There is a learning curve with the radio but don’t give up it can take some time to get the hang of it.

mangelo2407

I almost use my SDS-100 the entire time I am in the Bay Area, especially for the trucked systems. There is a learning curve with the radio but don’t give up it can take some time to get the hang of it.
Yes I’m looking forward to it , thanks for the info

Status
Not open for further replies.