Radio Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

honda112

Premium Subscriber
Hello everyone, I received my RadioShack Pro 96 in the mail today and have been trying to program it for a couple of hours. (Completely new to the digital Apco-25 programming) I have finally reached a point to where I programmed in the primary control channels. I have started to hear people's voices but it completely stutters and I can not understand but one word they say. I've tried everyone from a better antenna to going outside of my home but nothing seems to improve the quality of the sound.

I'm not sure if I forgot to input something else into the scanner or what. I live in Butler County, Ohio. (The control channel frequencies I have programmed are the red and blue ones only.)

Butler Regional Interoperable Communications System (BRICS) Trunking System, Hamilton, Ohio - Scanner Frequencies

All the help is much appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:

honda112

Premium Subscriber
Unfortunately I am programming it by hand and do not have the cable or software. Is there any other way to fix this problem?

Last edited:

honda112

Premium Subscriber
Well, stupid me.....Would not having a digital antenna, like the 800mhz one's, be the problem for the choppy signal and barely understandable voices?

N8IAA

Well, stupid me.....Would not having a digital antenna, like the 800mhz one's, be the problem for the choppy signal and barely understandable voices?

No. It's the horrible digital decode of the 96. That is why I bought a 106 six years ago, and still have it. My 96 hung around for a few months running Pro96com on my pc. Then I sold it.

But, if you are using the duck that came with the 96, it could be a problem.
Larry

honda112

Premium Subscriber
I'm not exactly sure if what I'm hearing is encrypted but I did take a video.

Pro 96 problem - YouTube

If anyone see's anything wrong on the radio screen or know if this is encrypted, please let me know. At one point in the video I did show the signal percentage which stayed anywhere from 0% - 40%. Anyway, thanks guys.

KC2YQW

Ok, So, a check of the two ID's, 14301 and 10201 shows its only digital. So we move to the next step. Try entering 151.5000, saving that Frequency as a conventional channel, then opening up the squelch [this will cause static] and see if the static skips like the voice channels do. If it does, there could be a problem with the radio itself, [namely the audio output] I've had this happen with portable radios after being dropped in water.

Another thing you can try [since you said the signal is only 40%] is placing the radio near a window to see if that improves reception, or try using a different antenna. I know it sounds like a bit much, but radios are like any other electronic device, one small part fails and the entire thing goes nuts. Let us know how it turns out.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I'm not exactly sure if what I'm hearing is encrypted but I did take a video.

Pro 96 problem - YouTube

If anyone see's anything wrong on the radio screen or know if this is encrypted, please let me know. At one point in the video I did show the signal percentage which stayed anywhere from 0% - 40%. Anyway, thanks guys.

Not encrypted, that's as good as the Pro-96 gets on a simulcast (LSM) site.

honda112

Premium Subscriber
Ok, So, a check of the two ID's, 14301 and 10201 shows its only digital. So we move to the next step. Try entering 151.5000, saving that Frequency as a conventional channel, then opening up the squelch [this will cause static] and see if the static skips like the voice channels do. If it does, there could be a problem with the radio itself, [namely the audio output] I've had this happen with portable radios after being dropped in water.

Another thing you can try [since you said the signal is only 40%] is placing the radio near a window to see if that improves reception, or try using a different antenna. I know it sounds like a bit much, but radios are like any other electronic device, one small part fails and the entire thing goes nuts. Let us know how it turns out.

Alrighty, so I did enter a conventional frequency, tuned into it and turned the squelch open, I did receive static and it was constant with no skipping. I attached my other antenna, which happens to be the radioshack centerloaded telescopic antenna, and I did receive a semi-constant signal of around 40-50%. I did make another video using this antenna.

Pro 96 problem with centerloaded telescopic antenna - YouTube

I also tried taking both antennas and using them when placing the scanner up by a window, outside, etc. When doing this I received a signal that was slightly better but could still barely understand voices and the audio still was skipping.

Thanks guys for all the help. I think my best option is to give the radioshack 800mhz antenna a shot and hopefully that will boost my signal significantly enough to listen sufficiently.

Last edited:

KC2YQW

Alright, so, it sounds like you have a little bit better signal, so that tells us you have a problem with reception. You may need a better antenna [if possible one that is outdoors] so that your scanner can receive the signal. You need a signal strength of 75% or better usually when dealing with trunk systems.

Also, 10252 is an encrypted talk-group which will cause that scattered skipping sound.
The 14301 and 24301 sounds like its coming in a bit better at least. I am not sure about the technical details of your specific radio [I use a 106] but if you find a way to get better reception and remove encrypted talk-groups your skipping problem should be resolved.

k8zgw

Try this

Find ONE of the simulcast sites, take the radio there.
( as close as you can get).
Listen ... with as little as you can.
Make sure you can only receive ONE site.

This will prove that your problem is likely
simulcast (LSM) problem

Don

Status
Not open for further replies.