• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Radio Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
My public safety uses Motorola MTS2000... well these radios looked old so I asked about them. They are on a 800 Mhz trunking system and he said that they don't have the money to upgrade the radios. Anyways...

It looks like this:

http://parts-recycling.com/Auto-Par...2000-800MHZ-trunking-portable-radio-photo.jpg

I asked him what the number buttons did and he said nothing... they just beep when pressed. Like an error beep... what are these numeric buttons used for?

How old is this type of radio? The system is a Type II system. The guy I was speaking to said they will not upgrade until they have the money to move to a digital system.

If you don't have a nice reply, don't say anything at all!

-Lisa Lynn Smith

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
MTS-2000's were "end of life"'d a few years ago. They could be anywhere from early 1990's to mid 2000's era.

The numeric keypad can be programmed to do a number of things, or programmed to do nothing. The fact they beep when pressed means nothing. They can be used for doing a phone patch, if the trunked system is set up for that. They can be used for setting up a "private" discussion with another radio. They can also be used for a number of other programable functions.

Likely your agency is using a SmartNet or SmartZone trunked system. They are nearing the end of their support from Motorola, so a lot of agencies are moving away from them. You can still buy new radios that will work on these systems:
Portables:
Motorola XTS series with the right code plug
Motorola MotoTrbo will do SmartNet, however if your agency is using NPSPAC frequencies, Motorola won't allow them to be programmed to those. (Don't get me started on this)
EFJohnson 5100 series.
The comparable mobiles will do it also.

Moving to digital isn't required to replace this system, but it's the likely path. We moved to Kenwood NexEdge last month and have been really happy.
I've got almost 300 each 800MHz MTS-2000's sitting in my shop waiting to be "de-programmed".

Status
Not open for further replies.