Radio Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

rescue69

Looking to purchase a new Radio. I thought it might be a good idea to get some input from fellow enthusiasts. I am looking at the 436/536 radios as well as the 325/996p2 . Especially since the addition of the voice formats it can receive. Does anyone have these radios and can tell me what your thoughts on them are? I have also looked at the Trx 1 and 2 and Unication receivers. Does anyone have any input on them? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Does anyone know how much longer OKC will be using the current systems before going to P25?

Drkatzjr45

Emeritus Member
Premium Subscriber
I have the 325P2...and love it!

The price was right, and I especially like the size of the radio

Freqed

I'm just a listener
Premium Subscriber
I am now running the 996 P-2 and a TRX-2 and each has their own +'s and -'s. The worst part about the P2 upgrade was that I lost my remote head from the 996 XT and since the radio is installed hidden within the console I have to rely on guessing the PD. I would use the TRX-2 mobile but I'm running the GPS pucks and like the systems to turn on/off as I travel.

movinon

Premium Subscriber
I have a 536hp and it took me a while to figure out using the software to get what I wanted to listen to. My old scanners pooped out with the use of pro voice in Okla City.
I really enjoy the 536hp now but it is expensive plus 120$ for license to hear DMR and provoice. I hope it stays relevant as long as my RS pro43 did.
I used the GPS function last week.....another 70$ for antenna....lol it worked very well detecting what zip code we were in and pulling in Highway Patrol while on the Turner turnpike.

plaws

Premium Subscriber
The 325P2 comes with DMR..It is a great radio. (In my opinion)

... if you pay for the key. ProVoice, too, (if you pay for that key) which is of, ahem, "key" importance if you like listening to the OCFD (which I do). Same as the BCDx36HP and BCD996P2.

I've sold my 2nd BCD996XT and am waiting for the right deal on eBay to replace the XT in the car with a P2.

plaws

Premium Subscriber
.I've sold my 2nd BCD996XT and am waiting for the right deal on eBay to replace the XT in the car with a P2.

Annnnndddd I paid less on eBay for a 996P2 ("manufacturer refurbished" whatever that actually means) than I got for my 996XT.

Of course, once I get it, I still have to buy the ProVoice key (and maybe eventually the DMR key).

fireant

I have heard that the 436hp/536 is a great radio it comes down to if you like the memory card concept. I have a Pro 107 with a memory card and I personally don't really like it thats just my thoughts on it some love the concept. The 325/996p2 also are great as well. The only complaint about the 325P2 is the battery life per the reviews I have came across. If you are wanting to listen to Okc Fire, Yukon, Warr Acres etc that are using Provoice then one of these four radios is the best option. The Provoice upgrade cost $50 and DMR cost $60. If you have no interest in anyone on OKC system using Provoice then the Whistlers come into play however they both use memory card concept which is again a personal preference. The Whistler do come with DMR for no additional cost. The Unication is more a public safety type radio/pager they do receive tremendously better however they don't do Provoice/DMR or P25 phase 2. They are going to be releasing a phase 2 upgrade that will be a paid upgrade. I have heard that OKC stuff that is provoice will be going to P25 Phase 2 but not sure how soon maybe someone on here could give you a little better idea on that? Hope this helps a little!

plaws

Premium Subscriber
The Provoice upgrade cost $50 and DMR cost $60.

$49.99, actually. The DMR key is $60, though. No, I have no idea why they "99-d" one and not the other. I just bought it and installed it in my new-to-me 996P2. Holding off on DMR for now.

I have heard that OKC stuff that is provoice will be going to P25 Phase 2 but not sure how soon maybe someone on here could give you a little better idea on that? Hope this helps a little!

I suspect that if you are in the market for a P25 system (not scanner) you get whatever is current and the current state of the standard includes TDMA (a/k/a "Phase 2"). Do the mobile and HH radios OKC have now support P25 or are they GE/Ericsson/MA-COM/Harris/whoeverthisweek EDACS only? I hope they're multi-protocol so they don't have to buy all-new "subscriber units", too. Of course, if they stay with Harris for their new system, I'm sure a deal will be made.

Status
Not open for further replies.