Radio Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voiceinthebox

Hello all! I'm new to the world of radios and I'm interested in getting my first quality receiver. I'm looking to spend somewhere around $200-$250. So far Sangean ATS-909X seems to fit my needs, but if you know anything else that's better feel free to share!

safetyobc

I have the KA1103 (Actually the Degen DE1103 which is exactly the same radio). At any rate, the 1103, is an excellent little radio. Yesterday I was picking up a Ham in Spain from my home in Arkansas off of the whip antenna!! I have DXed several Hams from PA, NY, VA, FL, IN, and many other states with this little radio in the past couple days, all on 20 meters. Not sure if the band is open or what but it is really neat!

It also does really well on AM.

Voiceinthebox

I have the KA1103 (Actually the Degen DE1103 which is exactly the same radio). At any rate, the 1103, is an excellent little radio. Yesterday I was picking up a Ham in Spain from my home in Arkansas off of the whip antenna!! I have DXed several Hams from PA, NY, VA, FL, IN, and many other states with this little radio in the past couple days, all on 20 meters. Not sure if the band is open or what but it is really neat!

It also does really well on AM.

I noticed the Degen DE1103 is quite a bit cheaper than the Sangean ATS-909X. What makes the Sangean more expensive? The Degen seems to be a good value.

safetyobc

Not exactly sure. Maybe the alpha tags and audio output power? Although the 1103 sounds really nice.

I had teh Sangean ATS-909 (not the X version) several years ago. It is a nice radio. But I can tell you that the 1103 is much more sensitive! I got my 1103 used for $50. That's one heck of a deal for such a sensitive radio!

I can't remember on the 909 but on the 1103, the tuning does NOT have detent. So you can scroll through the frequencies fast without hearing muted audio as you tune.

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
I just picked up a used 909 (my second go on this radio) I was always pleased with it and considered the 909X but the price was too good to pass up. Look at the reviews on this site and on E-HAM.net. A lot depends on how deep you pockets are. Both radios discussed above are good values.

Status
Not open for further replies.