Radio Reference Membership

Status
Not open for further replies.

fireboat61

Premium Subscriber
I just noticed that there are 99 members online and 544 non-members. I'm curious why a small fee isn't required to access RR? I've been a paying member for years and think the price of a subscription is a true bargain. How does RR entice new members to join? Would it also help the finances if we had more paying members? Thanks in advance.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I just noticed that there are 99 members online and 544 non-members. I'm curious why a small fee isn't required to access RR? I've been a paying member for years and think the price of a subscription is a true bargain. How does RR entice new members to join? Would it also help the finances if we had more paying members? Thanks in advance.

Logged in, prime members do not see ads on this site (except the one Scanner Master ad). Non-prime members and non-members see all the ads (unless using ad blockers)... and ads generate revenue.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I'm not a member, never have been, never will be.
I do my best to help others on this site, and I'm not going to pay to do that.
I have no use for the database downloads, I have better resources for my local area.

But, yeah, for those that need the database downloads, it seems like a good deal.

Issue I see is that if they started charging to use the chatboard, most of us would leave and go somewhere that was free.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
And I suppose if ad blockers become too prevalent from visitors to RR....

questnz

What ads? use plugin blockers, eg. Privacy Badger, Disconnect, uBlock Origin, Ghostery
Despite very little RR Database is useful for my location I am still paying periodically for Premium Subscription. A small token of appreciation for good work done by Lyndsey, Forums Admin and many hundreds of contributors. Keep it free to other users and guests with some restrictions already in place.

Last edited:

K7MFC

WRAA720
And I suppose if ad blockers become too prevalent from visitors to RR....

Good thing ad blocker blockers exist :ROFLMAO:

belvdr

No longer interested in living
For those that browse from mobile, look into AdGuard DNS. It won't block YouTube ads, but it is better than nothing, and works at the DHCP level, rather than a plugin.

a417

U+0000
pfblockerNG.

Runs on the firewall and no one sees adds unless they get on LTE. Lots of little 1x1 white pixels where ads should be.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
pfblockerNG.

Runs on the firewall and no one sees adds unless they get on LTE. Lots of little 1x1 white pixels where ads should be.
Just DNS ad blocking, like AdGuard. It doesn't look like pfblockerNG will work on a consumer router though. Does pfblockerNG block YouTube ads? I haven't found a DNS adblock solution that will yet.

a417

U+0000
I haven't run a commercial router as a firewall in nearly a decade, but I think you are right about it not working on a commercial home router.

As for DNS adblocking of youtube adds, it used to limit them, but browser extensions like ublock or adblock do that best. Youtube is a minimal use case scenario here so adds aren't that big of an issue, but I haven't seen an ad on a forum, blog, website or portal in a looooong time...at least not one that loads correctly. :ROFLMAO:

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Not all of us.
We can change that. There is no need to be smug about it. :rolleyes:

those of you that are all proud of yourselves for depriving our business of revenue might just harden my resolve to change things so those with ad blockers have to disable them to access the site.

we’re very cool about ads, we make them as unobtrusive as possible, and as on target as possible.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
The ads aren't really the answer to the OPs question. The RR forums are but one small part of the site. Forcing paid membership to post on the forum would be counterproductive to the purpose of the forum itself. A membership allows you to download from the database, access the Broadcastify recordings and, of course, not see ads.

Status
Not open for further replies.