Radio Reference Paid Subscription Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrscpu2004

Premium Subscriber
I see there is a 6 month and a 1 year subscription available at Radio Reference.
As to my Uniden BDC996XT programming, do they offer downloading or is it just a listing of
available frequencies? If it is a downloading then it would be a great tool.

elfaure

Not trying to take away RR revenue here as they offer both quality free and paid services, but the RR data file that you download with a paid subscription is simply a .csv file of frequencies for your area. If you can use MS Excel or FreeScan's EasyGrab tool, you can simply cut and paste these frequency tables right from the FREE RR database and either save and import them into FreeScan, or paste the frequency table from your Windows clipboard into Freescan directly with EasyGrab. Either way it is very easy and straight forward. But if you can't program a VCR/DVR and choose an iPhone over an Android because its easier to use you might not agree.

Also I believe they have a lesser than 6 month subscription like 1 month or 15 days.

Last edited:

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
, but the RR data file that you download with a paid subscription is simply a .csv file of frequencies for your area. .

The paid programming feature is definitely not just a CSV file. It will import your choice of systems that you want to monitor directly into your programming software, properly formatted for your software and can then be directly uploaded to the scanner.

Check here to see how it works:

Programming Your Scanner With the Web service

And there are other features available with a paid subscription:

Premium Subscription Information Page

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Not trying to take away RR revenue here as they offer both quality free and paid services, but the RR data file that you download with a paid subscription is simply a .csv file of frequencies for your area. If you can use MS Excel or FreeScan's EasyGrab tool, you can simply cut and paste these frequency tables right from the FREE RR database and either save and import them into FreeScan, or paste the frequency table from your Windows clipboard into Freescan directly with EasyGrab. Either way it is very easy and straight forward. But if you can't program a VCR/DVR and choose an iPhone over an Android because its easier to use you might not agree.

Also I believe they have a lesser than 6 month subscription like 1 month or 15 days.

There is a lot more to systems than copy and paste. Me I would support a full paid annual membership with the database part of the annual membership.

jrscpu2004

Premium Subscriber
I'm beginning to understand that. When I see all the different transmission types that you need to know in advance before even beginning to setup, I have a lot of catching up to do.
I'm going to do a Google Search for possible radio scanning groups in my particular area in Selden, NY.
I'm hoping that they will offer seminars that might help a poor soul like me! Thanks again!

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I'm beginning to understand that. When I see all the different transmission types that you need to know in advance before even beginning to setup, I have a lot of catching up to do.
I'm going to do a Google Search for possible radio scanning groups in my particular area in Selden, NY.
I'm hoping that they will offer seminars that might help a poor soul like me! Thanks again!

This resource may help if you haven't seen it yet:

Easier to Read BCD996P2/XT Digital Scanner Manual

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I agree that the RR subscription then use a software program to download the appropriate data is the most efficient way of doing things. As noted above there is more than just frequencies and talkgroups - it may also involve choosing the right type of system. Downloading reduces the opportunities for errors.

Owing to how serious you get into the hobby, there is always some "maintenance" to do with your scanner. Also you may travel and want to program your scanner for your destination - another reason for download/program.

elfaure

The paid programming feature is definitely not just a CSV file. It will import your choice of systems that you want to monitor directly into your programming software, properly formatted for your software and can then be directly uploaded to the scanner.

Check here to see how it works:

Programming Your Scanner With the Web service

And there are other features available with a paid subscription:

Premium Subscription Information Page

I still see this as just an automationed function of loading the same CSV files I can generate for free then import into my programming software. I can copy and paste frequency tables for multiple areas into their own discrete CSV files, then import those CSV files 1 by 1 to populate discrete sytems in the software. Then save the entire configuration and upload it to my scanner. For my area there are less than 10 frequencies I had to import and that did not justify a paid subscription.

elfaure

I think I will eventually be a paid subscriber because I would like to support this forum. I see it supports a valuable resource and keeping all that data up to date aint free I understand. But laugh if you want, by being generally thrify and a DIYer I'm laughing all the way to the bank.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
For 10 frequencies I probably wouldn't need a membership either, but for someone downloading multiple trunked systems with many different modes, hundreds of frequencies, thousands of talk groups, plus rebanding tables which may not be shown in the frequency listings, it is an invaluable tool.

There are a number of other valuable features available including personalization, custom watch lists, printable PDF reports, advanced database searches, and live audio feed archives. Provide a feed and receive your membership for free.

Last edited:

elfaure

Trust me if I couldn't figure out how to do it in under an hour I'd be gladly paying for it. But you've got to admit the FreeScan EasyGrab tool is just too easy to use for smaller rural areas. Especially like mine that is still all conventional with no trunked systems (Santa Cruz CA).

djg320

Premium Subscriber
Printable PDF reports was a big draw for me, the advanced database searches have proved vital more than a few times. I haven't had to use them to program my scanner as the OP would use however it would prove very useful if in a larger area and I would use it.

W8RMH hit the nail on the head.

jrscpu2004

Premium Subscriber
Wow, I'm hoping my questions don't create a battle? I am amazed how complex scanners have become.
It's the different radio formats like "CVS" that I have a lot to catch up on. When you are choosing P25 or any of the other formats, does that mean if a radio frequency being transmitted in a different format you can't get it? Also, can you load multiple formats let's say to be able to receive different services or is it one format only?

elfaure

...but for someone downloading multiple trunked systems with many different modes, hundreds of frequencies, thousands of talk groups, plus rebanding tables which may not be shown in the frequency listings, it is an invaluable tool.

Yes this is the head of the nail defining statement I agree.

jrscpu2004

Premium Subscriber
Success!! I finally found a You Tube clip that a person using FreeScan and his BCD996XT, used the Import function(with a paid subscription). I got a 180 Day subscription because up to now, I wasn't too sure if the unit I picked up was working correctly. I then duplicated his steps but substituted Suffolk County data and finally got the scanner to work correctly. I think if RR had a list of possible scanners and then cross linked appropriate You Tube links, it would make nubies like me get up to speed faster.
Honestly all the suggestions were great but a video doing a step by step process makes the programming much more understandable. I still have to learn a lot more but I feel like I made progress today! Thanks to ALL !

QDP2012

Success!! I finally found a You Tube clip that a person using FreeScan and his BCD996XT, used the Import function(with a paid subscription). I got a 180 Day subscription because up to now, I wasn't too sure if the unit I picked up was working correctly. I then duplicated his steps but substituted Suffolk County data and finally got the scanner to work correctly.
Good job!

I think if RR had a list of possible scanners and then cross linked appropriate You Tube links, it would make nubies like me get up to speed faster.
Honestly all the suggestions were great but a video doing a step by step process makes the programming much more understandable. I still have to learn a lot more but I feel like I made progress today! Thanks to ALL !

In case you haven't visited it yet, in the RR Wiki (which is community-maintained, and (generally) editable by all RR members), the Category:Scanners page and its subcategories pages, list the scanner-specific articles for quite a few individual scanners, of different brands. Those Wiki-articles would be the most convenient place to have such video-links.

If you need help editing the related articles to add the appropriate YouTube links, or if you want to post the video link(s) in the forums so that another Wiki-editor can add the links to the Wiki articles, then in either case, please start a new thread in the Wiki forum. Many people can help you learn how to edit pages, or help add links to existing articles, as appropriate.

Hope this helps,

Status
Not open for further replies.