• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Radio Repeater

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThomasMolino

Hello,

I am working with a close friend and we are currently trying to get a repeater for UHF at a very low cost. We are a non-profit organization working to restore and preserve historic fire apparatus.

If you are able to sell a repeater or have extended knowledge with repeater use please contact me! Mobile repeaters preferred, But we will accept what we can get!

thomas.molino@yahoo.com

W2NJS

Your post raises a lot of questions that probably should be answered before any useful information can be provided. How big an area do you need to cover? What kind of an FCC license do you intend to get? Answers to these two "starter" questions will get you some responses and help, I'm sure.

I'm a member of SPAAMFAA and I assume you guys are as well.

Regards.

Tom, W2NJS

ThomasMolino

We currently applied to a GMRS license

The range we need to cove would be approximation 5 miles. (A LARGE parade line front to back basically)

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Repeaters and "very low cost" are like oil and water. They just don't mix.

Are you talking 5 miles on a straight road? Is the whole thing going to portable? Is this just for temporary setups or are you wanting it to be permanent? Are there any tall buildings that would allow you to put up a temporary antenna? If that's the case, then it could be done with a UHF Yagi, 2 Maxtracs, RICK or other type controller, and a mobile duplexer with a very short feedline.

2 Maxtrcas - ~$100.00 (About $50.00 each)
UHF Mobile Duplexer - ~$100.00
RICK or other controller - ~$100.00
UHF Yagi - ~ $50.00
GOOD Coax - Varies, depending on how much, but you can get Andrews 1/2 Heliax for about $1.50 a foot.

Even with this bare minimum setup, it will cost you about $400.00 and then you have to pay someone to program the radios, set up the controller and adjust the duplexer. Then once you get it running, then you have to put it somewhere and most people won't just let you set up a repeater on their property, at least without paying them something.

So after spending all of that, you'll probably be VERY disappointed in the results.

I had a repeater set up one time that used 50 feet of Andrews 1/2 "hardline", a DB404 antenna at about 35 feet, two Maxtracs, an ICS controller, UHF mobile duplexer, and a 35 Amp power supply. We could barely squeeze out 6-7 miles with handhelds.

Status
Not open for further replies.