Radio shack 106 VS uniden bcd436hp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canadabear07

I currently have a older RadioShack 106 and have the chance to get a uniden bcd436hp for $300. I mainly listen to police ems and fire which are all digital in the mid Michigan area. Would it be with upgrading?

JOHNHENRYDAVISJR

Premium Subscriber
I've thought about the same but I hear everything on my pro 106. It just takes a bit of time to master the radio.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
What would be the REASON to upgrade if you're receiving everything you want to hear on your Pro 106?
The Pro-106 uses a design created more than a dozen years ago, whereas the 436HP was introduced in 2014.

While the 106 is more sensitive, hearing faint signals, it's also much more prone to overload and desense due to strong nearby transmitters. Nearby cell towers seriously affect the Pro-106. Although I'm surrounded by a forest of cell sites, the 436HP is unaffected.

The Pro-106 has a limit on the volume of frequencies and systems that can be programmed. While the V-folders are available, they only allow a different programming scheme. You're still limited as to what can monitored. With the 436HP, as well as the other HP series scanners, you can program a much larger number of systems, and monitor most any combination at one time.

If the OP does much traveling, the database on the memory card, and the use of a GPS, greatly enhances the ease of setting the scanner up for a trip. Also, if that trip, whether for business, vacation, or visiting friends or relatives, passes to or through a major urban area, the odds of running into a P25 Phase II system are nearly a certainty. The 106 cannot handle Phase II, whereas, the 436 can, and with the optional upgrades, can also deal with DMR and NXDN.

JOHNHENRYDAVISJR

Premium Subscriber
The Pro-106 uses a design created more than a dozen years ago, whereas the 436HP was introduced in 2014.

While the 106 is more sensitive, hearing faint signals, it's also much more prone to overload and desense due to strong nearby transmitters. Nearby cell towers seriously affect the Pro-106. Although I'm surrounded by a forest of cell sites, the 436HP is unaffected.

The Pro-106 has a limit on the volume of frequencies and systems that can be programmed. While the V-folders are available, they only allow a different programming scheme. You're still limited as to what can monitored. With the 436HP, as well as the other HP series scanners, you can program a much larger number of systems, and monitor most any combination at one time.

If the OP does much traveling, the database on the memory card, and the use of a GPS, greatly enhances the ease of setting the scanner up for a trip. Also, if that trip, whether for business, vacation, or visiting friends or relatives, passes to or through a major urban area, the odds of running into a P25 Phase II system are nearly a certainty. The 106 cannot handle Phase II, whereas, the 436 can, and with the optional upgrades, can also deal with DMR and NXDN.

Canadabear07

Based on where I live (zip.48617) will the uniden get better sound quality I guess is what I'm trying to get at? Compared to my old 106.or will it be about the same?

Canadabear07

Are you out in the country look around to see if you see cell towers?
Are you in the city surrounded by TV Stations, Radio Stations, Cell Towers?

There's maybe 1 or two cell towers in my town that's about it. The next town over that I also have programmed is a lot bigger and I'm sure has a lot of cell towers and what not. Still not a huge town tho.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Only you can answer that.
#1 Does your scanner now hear everything you want to hear?
#2 Is their any P25 PHASE 2 in your area now or coming soon?
#3 Is there any DMR in your area now or coming soon?
#4 Is there any NXDN in your area now or coming soon?

Canadabear07

Got the uniden. I put my zip code in and I'm having trouble with it missing pieces of conversation because it's not scanning fast enough or something.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Got the uniden. I put my zip code in and I'm having trouble with it missing pieces of conversation because it's not scanning fast enough or something.

How many talkgroups are you scanning? Are you scanning more that one site? More than one system? Any conventional radio channels, in addition to MPSCS?

N0GTG

Scanner programmer since 1997
Premium Subscriber
I think programming your scanner for multiple sites is a major factor in potential problems. If you are listening to a conversation on site A, with sites B, C, and D programmed, you could very well miss a response or two while your scanner is checking sites B, C, and D for traffic. Then when it gets back to A, you are back in the loop. I recommend either programming but locking out secondary sites, or, if you're just monitoring one system, doing a site lock to hold on a single site that is working well for you.

One other possibility is the 'housekeeping' function described by UPMan. When this is happening, you will see the signal strength meter periodically drop to zero for no apparent reason.

Canadabear07

How many talkgroups are you scanning? Are you scanning more that one site? More than one system? Any conventional radio channels, in addition to MPSCS?
I'm not sure, all I did was put in my zip code and let it load the database. Seems like it's definitely scanning a lot of different thing tho.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure, all I did was put in my zip code and let it load the database. Seems like it's definitely scanning a lot of different thing tho.

I am guessing that too many things are being scanned, taking up time. Build a list of things you want scanned, which a Uniden user can give more info on how to utilize the quick keys.

Status
Not open for further replies.