Radio-Shack 20-032

Status
Not open for further replies.

oft

Premium Subscriber
Magnet-mount mobile scanner antenna - RadioShack.com

Has anyone used this antenna indoors with a home-made ground plane? If so, what are your results?

I am thinking about procuring this antenna for use across all bands to see if the "25 to 1300MHz." claims work because I monitor all bandwidth my scanner ranging from 42 MHz to 930 MHZ. I have a steel cover from a old wide desktop 386 computer (approx 16" x 25") that I'm thinking about using as the magnet-mount ground plane. Looking at the $31.00 price to get the antenna, magnet-mount, and a 16-foot cable with BNC connector makes me curious plus would give me flexibility to place it on the roof of my vehicle if I ever needed to do some temporary mobile scanning.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

mayidunk

I've been using one for years! I pretty much get good copy on anything there is to get within about 10-15 miles using my wall mounted air conditioner as the ground plane. It's nowhere near as good as an outside antenna mounted high up in the clear. But for what it is? It ain't bad.

Hey, it's Rat Shack! Buy it, try it, and if you don't like it, take it back within 30 days, and get your money back. :)

Good luck!

WAScanMan

I had mine stuck to my file cabinet before I put it on my vehicle. It worked pretty decent for a mobile antenna being inside. On my mobile however it works very good. I purchased it because my car creates IF to the point where radio traffic can't be copied. With this antenna however, problem solved.

usnasa

yes I have mine on my metal cabinet as well i have a question if i want to move it outside would it be better and how would i extend the cable ?

digitalanalog

I use one out side on an 1 1/4" steel mounting bracket without a ground plane and it picks up fine 20-25 miles, while the ground plane would be the way to go, In my case, it works without it, try setting it in your gutter on your house and see what happens.

usnasa

I use one out side on an 1 1/4" steel mounting bracket without a ground plane and it picks up fine 20-25 miles, while the ground plane would be the way to go, In my case, it works without it, try setting it in your gutter on your house and see what happens.

i understand that but the problem is that the cable that comes with it is not long enough for me to move it outside so then how would i add and extention on the cable to move it or can i ?

digitalanalog

Last edited:

usnasa

This is not the best way to do it, but you could get these couple parts from RAT SHACK to try it

Gold-Plated BNC Female-to-Female Coupler - RadioShack.com
and this
RadioShack® 12-Ft. RG-58 Coax Cable Assembly - RadioShack.com

Like I said, this is not a very good way of doing things but it will work, and might let you know if it's going to work well enough.

if you do decide to this, and the female adapter is outside, wrap it good with tape or try to seal it to keep out moisture.

Good
Luck

yes thank u for this

digitalanalog

Just remember, the key here is to get it as high in the air as possible...........
so you might want to get a longer length of coax from RAT SHACK or where ever you get the coax from
The Higher The Better............

usnasa

Just remember, the key here is to get it as high in the air as possible...........
so you might want to get a longer length of coax from RAT SHACK or where ever you get the coax from
The Higher The Better............

yes well i understand that but i live in a condo on the ground floor not too many places to put it but its got to be better outside than inside correct ?

PowerHouseCom

Can't say how well it would work in a home environment, but I can say it makes for one damn good mobile antenna! Picks up signals from quite a distance.

oft

Premium Subscriber
Wanted to update everyone.

Pay day came and I finally decided to buy the antenna and use a piece of steel (approx 16" x 22") as the ground-plane. I am currently analyzing my results and I am picking up easily signals from 30 miles away while also judging my local signal strength.

As I play with this antenna, I will let you know more later.

Last edited:

FallenAnjel

I know this is an old thread, but I, too had this antenna and used it for over 10 years (I moved in 2010 and forgot to take it w/ me). I loved it. I don't do any "long range" monitoring but at least liked to hear w/in a 20 mile radius and this antenna did just that. Just don't keep it near your modem or DSL router (not that anyone uses DSL anymore, lol). I learned that when I had DSL and spent two weeks with Verizon trying to figure out why my DSL wasn't working. I'm not 100% positive but I'm pretty sure it was the antenna interfering w/ the router.

I"m currently looking to buy another one because when there's a working fire just 2 towns away I'd like to hear what's going on. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.