Radio Shack 20-176 vs Antennacraft ST3

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomast77

Does Antennacraft make the Radio Shack 20-176? If not which is the best quality? Which will best stand up to the elements of Florida? I would definitely take it down if a hurricane came through here. Mainly interested in the build quality and which one is built tougher?

Thank You all in advance for your input:)
Tom

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber

scannersnstuff

the radioshack discone <large one> is a pretty good all around antenna. the build quality suck's. i have one because i have the restriction's of an attic for my antenna space. with that being said, it does not hold up to any harsh wind's or other weather element's. it's made of cheap aluminum.

freqs

I have a scantenna and I love it works well strong built .Picks up well but not on 800 . I have received many skips all summer .Average I get 60 plus mile range .I had the Radio Shack Discone it did pick up well but fell apart in a few years .3 years on old house 1 year on new home still works and no issues and no mod done to it

Rsmims

Radio Shack Discone

I will agree that Radio Shack Discones are cheaply made. The radials are Stainless Steel tubing and will break VERY easily. That being said, the antennas receive a very broad spectrum, everything between 25 mhz thru 1.3 ghz, and I have 2 of them sitting atop a 50 foot tower.

The 1st install was stock, out of the package. 2 weeks later, I've got radials laying all over the yard after a big wind. So, I bought enough 1/4 inch solid stainless rod to replace all the radials, cut them to size, threaded the ends, and installed them with blue Locktite.

Those 2 antenna have now been in the air for 3 years, have survived 75 mph winds combined with below 0 temps, and I would put them up against ANY antenna out there. Non standard? Yes, but worth it. I use them to supply the 13 scanners for the feeds I provide here.

Why did I do this? Diamond mades a good antenna but is overpriced.

My 2 cents worth.

GB1952

Premium Subscriber
i have found the best for 800 use is the bs800s-c, comtelco- s- series from (RFWIZ.COM)

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
discone vs discone

Does Antennacraft make the Radio Shack 20-176? If not which is the best quality? Which will best stand up to the elements of Florida? I would definitely take it down if a hurricane came through here. Mainly interested in the build quality and which one is built tougher?
I use the RS discone and it works good for me. I agree that it is quite delicate to say the least. I have purchased and installed discones from ScannerMaster for others, and I will say they are a lot more rugged. If I was doing it again, I'd definitely get the more rugged version, especially if in an area with lots of weather. Performance wise, they are the same.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Just thought I would pass on this info. I contacted AntennaCraft and they say that the Radio Shack model is made by Antennacraft. They said it is the exact same antenna.

Interesting to know that.

ermin

Thank You all in advance for your input:)
Tom

I had one outside in West Palm Beach and it rusted out in less than 3 years. Have another on in my attic for over 12 years now. Won't last long near the ocean.

Ermin

Status
Not open for further replies.