Radio Shack 20-404 Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benched_it

Thankfully as I need some help bad.

I have a Radio Shack 20-404 scanner. Somehow I hit something and locked all my channels out. It happened once before but I can't remember what I did to fix it? When I hit scan it says all channels locked out. This is what the manual says.....

Removing Lock-outs from All Frequencies in a Service
Bank
1. Hold down L/O/L/O RVW for about two seconds
during a Service Bank or Signal Stalker II search.
L-r appears.
2. While holding down TUNE/CLEAR, press L/O.
FLo ALL–CL appears for about two seconds.
Then the display alternates with YES ---Ent and
No --CLEAr.
. Press ENT. L-r EMPty appears. The scanner clears
lock-outs from all frequencies in the Service Bank.

I have tried exactly what it says to do several times and nothing. It's so frustrating! Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!!

Jay

wtp

as a guess

try to turn on some of the banks
hit the numbers 0-9
service search is different than scan
try pressing scan until scan appears (from the manual)

Last edited:

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
Jay-

Are you refering to a Pro-404 scanner? Not sure but can look up the manual. The procedure you are trying is to remove locked out frequencies form the search function. Most RS scanners are easy to unlock. press man (or manual) if it indicates the 'channel' is locked out simply press the lockout botton to have it covered in scan mode. when you hit scan you should see a list of the 'banks' it will scan on the display. these can usually be swithced on/off by pressing the 'bank number' while in scan mode.

Hope this helps.

Swipesy

It looks to me that you can only unlock all frequencies at once on SERVICE BANKS. To unlock non-Service Bank channels you have to go 1 by 1. So for instance you go to Channel 1 and press L/O and L/O disappears, Channel 2 and press L/O, etc.

The other thing you could do is reinitialize the scanner but you will lose all programmed frequencies and have to renter everything.

I don't have that scanner but I looked at your manual.

Benched_it

The other thing you could do is reinitialize the scanner but you will lose all programmed frequencies and have to renter everything.

I found someone that had the same scanner and they cleared everything out and I re-entered everything. It appears to be working now? The downside is I wasn't around to see how they cleared everything so if it happens again I'm back to square one. I greatly appreciate the help and I have bookmarked this page and the site in general because I'm sure I'll have more questions down the road....

Jay

Swipesy

I found someone that had the same scanner and they cleared everything out and I re-entered everything. It appears to be working now? The downside is I wasn't around to see how they cleared everything so if it happens again I'm back to square one. I greatly appreciate the help and I have bookmarked this page and the site in general because I'm sure I'll have more questions down the road....

Jay

From the Manual -

Initializing the Scanner
If the scanner’s display locks up or does not work
properly after you connect a power source, you might
need to initialize the scanner.
n Important: This procedure clears all information
you stored in the scanner’s memory. Only initialize the
scanner when you are sure the scanner is not working
properly.

1. Turn off the scanner, then turn it on again.
WELCOME SCAnnInG rECEIVEr appears.
2. Press 0, then press 1 while the welcome message
is on the screen. InItIAL appears for about two
seconds, then YES --Ent and No --CLEAr
appear alternately.
3. Press ENT. WAIt appears for about two seconds.
n Note: Do not turn off the scanner until the
initialization is complete. When the initialization is
complete, 1CH 000.0000 appears on the display.

Status
Not open for further replies.