Radio shack 2040 confusing me to death

Status
Not open for further replies.

bowman1268

Hi everyone

I am new to scanning but have had this scanner for like a year and can't figure it out.
I downloaded the manual from radio shack that just made things worse.

Ok here is my problem I can seem to get it to scan for signals.I can manually enter a frequency and it will go to it but that is tedious and very hit or miss.When I do as it says to program press manual then enter frequency then it says press MAN or PGM.Well here is where it gets me I have no button that says man and if I press pgm it says error no matter what I enter.If I press manual then enter a frequency then press the up or down arrow it will work but then I have to prees the arrow for every signal step up or down the band.Is there no way to just have the radio scan through all of them with out me pressing the button like a million times.

blangell

Hello bowman1268

You have to press ENTER (bottom right on the keypad) after you enter the frequency, then I believe you can use PGM to advance to the next channel and enter a frequency there.

Pg 20-21of the manual.

bowman1268

Is there any way to make the scanner run through and find stations automatically or do I have to input them all by hand.the manual makes it sound like I can put in a start point then have it run through the band up or down till it hits a active frequency.

ST-Bob

Premium Subscriber
No, scanners don't find and save frequencies automatically for you (in almost all cases). You should familiarize yourself with the Radio Reference frequency database and program the desired frequencies into your scanner. Then it will scan those frequencies.

What you are referring to is called a "search", not a scan. Searching may find an individual frequency but it likely won't automatically save it and, besides, you won't know what that frequency is. Use the RR database to find those channels you want to have in your scanner and add them in the order you choose. This is the way it should be done - not the way you've described.

DickH

No, scanners don't find and save frequencies automatically for you (in almost all cases). You should familiarize yourself with the Radio Reference frequency database and program the desired frequencies into your scanner. Then it will scan those frequencies.

What you are referring to is called a "search", not a scan. Searching may find an individual frequency but it likely won't automatically save it and, besides, you won't know what that frequency is. Use the RR database to find those channels you want to have in your scanner and add them in the order you choose. This is the way it should be done - not the way you've described.

He didn't say anything about SAVE. There is probably someplace in the manual to tell him how to do a search starting at a certain freq. I believe that's what he wants to do.

bowman1268

Thanks I kinda worked out that it was manual entry after messing with it some today.

Yhea I have bee going through the site database.Only frequency I can get to work is weather band.I think I am going to order a better antenna.I think the cheesy one that came on it is my problem.I have a very old radio that can pickup Memphis international airport from my house but this thing gets nada zip zero.

michaelmikesj

Limit Search

Is there any way to make the scanner run through and find stations automatically or do I have to input them all by hand.the manual makes it sound like I can put in a start point then have it run through the band up or down till it hits a active frequency.

Thats called a limit search. The manual will tell you exactly how to program in a limit search. Just read the manual carefully.

bowman1268

Dickh has it right.

In the manual it says you can search by entering a starting frequency then press pgm.That just gives me an error.I figured out I can enter a frequency then press the up arrow and it will go up but pressing the up arrow a billion times to go through all the frequencies looking for activity seems like a pain.Seems like there would be a way for it to do like a car radio and have it go up in the frequency till it gets activity then stop.Then have it continue when I press the up arrow again.The manual describes something like this but I can get it to work.will wait on the new antenna then give it another try.

bowman1268

ok

This was weird.I decided to mess with it for a bit and I bumped the squelch and bam now it searches.Then turned it of then back on and tapped the top and again start to search.Guess it has a short in it.Time to go ebay shopping for another first scanner as even though I can't pickup sqaut on this one.I'm hooked on play with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.