Radio Shack 2096

Status
Not open for further replies.

johncoleman

Hello,

Where would i send my Radio shack 2096 to fix a problem . It programs and works fine but no screen display. Yes everything ells works . I know radio shack stopped making these great scanners .

Thanks in Advance for any Help

john

Trekker65

Premium Subscriber
Try Radio Shack

Try your local Radio Shack to see if they are still servicing that model. Sounds like a part that would be common among many of their newer scanners.

johncoleman

Thank You

I called the local radio Shack and the person who answered the telephone knew nothing about repairs so I called the Radio shack at the next town over and she said no more repair department, but to call her manager in the morning .

bryan_herbert

Premium Subscriber
Radio Shack stopped supporting the Pro-2096 and the Pro-96 about two or three years ago when certain parts were no longer available from the manufacturer. One of those parts was the display issue, its not the screen that is bad but rather a part in line with it. If you really like the Pro-2096 you can try finding a 'for parts' unit on ebay or here in the classifieds section but make sure the display is working. Then send both to the RS Service Center and have them swap it out. Dont know how costly it would be, chances are at $75 per hour labor costs might run almost as much as a new radio.

daveriffel

Premium Subscriber

It was my understanding the GRE was producing the Pro 96 and 2096 for Radio shack, you may check with them about getting service on these. The display issue Is a common problem for these I have two and both of them have had display Issues

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
Hello,

Where would i send my Radio shack 2096 to fix a problem . It programs and works fine but no screen display. Yes everything ells works . I know radio shack stopped making these great scanners .

Thanks in Advance for any Help

john

Instead of listening to rumors, for $20, your local radio Shack will send the radio into the repair center for evaluation. If the unit can be repaired, the $20 will go towards the final cost.

04Z1V6

You most likely can repair this yourself. I have had two with this same problem and all you need to do is trim the ribbon cable about 1/16" this is a known problem trim the cable were it installs into the screen with a very sharp scissors.

johncoleman

Thank You All so Much !

I would really like to hear more on the "all you need to do is trim the ribbon cable about 1/16" this is a known problem trim the cable were it installs into the screen with a very sharp scissors"

Has Anyone Done this ? .

PLHamp

Premium Subscriber
Bad display 2096

I tried the trim it did not solve the problem. I also tried to clean up the low grade solder job where it connects to the board, still no joy.

Works fine programs great no display! No support I hear but will try.

Pat

Benzman66

Did you know there is another ribbon cable that sometimes needs reseated?
It actually is the very small ribbon right from the screen that goes into a connection on the display board. You have to remove the board that contains the keypad & LEDs to access it. That worked for me.

PLHamp

Premium Subscriber
Worth a shot. I just left my Local radio shack and was told that they do not do any out of warranty repair anymore. So I tried Ft Worth and got no where even close to a human being. Its very frustrating since I own 4 RS scanners, 1 Pro 96, 1 Pro 2096 and 2 PRO 2097's. I just find it a bit hard to beleive you can't get service on an item that cost more than most TV's in the store yet they service TV's and celphones.

I will open it up tomorrow when I am less pissed at them and see if that cable does it. Everything welse works fine, programs, scans and al functions work but the display.

Thanks!

Pat

PLHamp

Premium Subscriber
Well after nursing my Flu ridden wife I finally got around to trying the other ribbon cable. Good news and bad news. I trimmed it back just a shade and re-installed it in the connector, now the good news we now have a display, now the bad news the contrast is not right and you can only read it looking down. I don't have a manual but I swear there was a contrast setting which may solve it. Any help appreciated, I wil try the RS sight next.

Thanks for your help at least I can see it now!

Pat

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Well after nursing my Flu ridden wife I finally got around to trying the other ribbon cable. Good news and bad news. I trimmed it back just a shade and re-installed it in the connector, now the good news we now have a display, now the bad news the contrast is not right and you can only read it looking down. I don't have a manual but I swear there was a contrast setting which may solve it. Any help appreciated, I wil try the RS sight next.

Thanks for your help at least I can see it now!

Pat

Try MAN, FUNC 9, then arrow up/down and ENT to save.

PLHamp

Premium Subscriber
I found it in the online manual and yes that was the drill and now it works like new! Thanks to all!

Pat

PLHamp

Premium Subscriber
So in summary, The Pro 2096 display problem can have 4 different solutions or combination thereof.

1. Trim the display board ribbon cable where it plugs into the main board.
2. Clean up the other end of that ribbon cable where it connects to the display board. Resolder or clean between the lands.
3. Remove the display board and re-attach the micro ribbon cable that connects the LCD to the display control board.
4. Replace the LCD. Note: the backlight has piece of plastic that defuses the backlight LED's. I dropped mine and got it all back together before I saw it on the floor.

Item three is the big pain since the Display is not snapped onto the Backlight mount. You need to desolder the two grounds to that board so you can re-assemble the display board to the multipin connector it plugs into. Be very cautious when pushing that connector on its very easy to bend a pin and getting them straight is very tedious. Put the screws back in slowly as to not strip them then re-solder the display board ground wire to the volume control board. Once you have the face plate back on solder the ground strap between the main and display board. Make sure the ribbon cable is out of the way when you solder the ground braid. Then re-insert ribbon cable and push both tensioners at the same time to make sure its in and square.

I hope this helps someone who is having the same issues. I am really dissapointed with Radio Shack now. No help in the store(s) or any response from customer service. Its just a shame that such a once great company has fallin so far and so hard.

Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.