Radio Shack 800 Disassembled..

Status
Not open for further replies.

bear780ks

I was always knew that my Radio Shack 800Mhz was doing it's Job but I always wondered as well what i looked like under that black cover well I've never took my Original one apart but i have gotten a couple extra's and on one of them the cover that screws down to the base the BNC end was loose my best guess the Factory in Taiwan just didn't torque it down..

So why I was a little afraid to continue unloosing it I figured I got my other Antenna's to use and if nothing breaks away or falls out it will be fine and nothing did but I did get some good shots of it and it's now it's a test antenna and will remain unattached.. so maybe there was a reason for it to be loose

Below is some pictures I took if one's would Like more just ask I'll see what I can do..

Attachments

• 1111  BNC end R.S. Antenna.jpg
    1111 BNC end R.S. Antenna.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 628
  • 1111 BNC end side View R.S..jpg
    1111 BNC end side View R.S..jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 579
  • 1111 BNC connecting End of R.S. 800.jpg
    1111 BNC connecting End of R.S. 800.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 611
  • R.S. Antenna end Alternative pic...jpg
    R.S. Antenna end Alternative pic...jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 593
  • R.S. Antenna Side View...jpg
    R.S. Antenna Side View...jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 581
Last edited:

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Only scratching the surface. You have to strip apart the entire whip to see the actual element. Right now all you have "discovered" is the connectorization.

bear780ks

Well I may go further and strip the cover but my first thought seeing it come loose as it did I was a little surprised. I've never had this happen with my original R.S. 800mhz antenna that I've owned it for quite some time..

Even my Second R.S.antenna hasn't loosened up like this third one I just bought recently now what could of been the cause to this happening I just got some PASTERNACK BNC L adapters and the Quality in them is excellent but when I was attaching the antenna there was some Tightness in the Connection and I had to make a slight adjustment with the antenna and the Adapter and that is when it un-threaded on me..

Last edited:

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Interesting Dissection

I was always knew that my Radio Shack 800Mhz was doing it's Job but I always wondered as well what i looked like under that black cover well I've never took my Original one apart but i have gotten a couple extra's and on one of them the cover that screws down to the base the BNC end was loose my best guess the Factory in Taiwan just didn't torque it down..

So why I was a little afraid to continue unloosing it I figured I got my other Antenna's to use and if nothing breaks away or falls out it will be fine and nothing did but I did get some good shots of it and it's now it's a test antenna and will remain unattached.. so maybe there was a reason for it to be loose

Below is some pictures I took if one's would Like more just ask I'll see what I can do..

Thanks for the sacrifice. I attempted to shave off the plastic on the other end, where it flares out from the base and becomes smaller. Why? I have a hard time keeping them from bending given my style of scanning. At times, without trying, I seem to test gravity with my PSR 500.

So, I wonder what lies beneath the plastic portion on the other end? Why won't the antenna bend back straight if metal is inside?

bear780ks

Back just a hair from the center pin is a coiled wire that goes up the shaft a 1/2 an inch, then the shaft goes up about inch and there is a flared out piece of metal Like a flat metal washer then the shaft continues on up)

On or in the antenna it self I assume there is a membrane of some kind that keeps the antenna straight, my First R.S. 800 I got back in the early 2000's still looks today as a new as my) as the one's I recently purchased..

Status
Not open for further replies.