Radio Shack 800mhz Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkatzjr45

Senior Member - Emeritus
Premium Subscriber
Is the Radio Shack 800mhz Antenna still available?

What would be commensurate, or better, for back of the scanner, portable use on 800mhz?

Thanks!

N5TWB

plaws

Premium Subscriber
If RS doesn't have it, here it is with another name and a choice of connector from Universal Radio: Remtronix REM-800B, Diamond REM-800S Scanner Antenna

Here's the RS link: https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-800mhz-scanner-antenna

ScannerMaster just tweeted this out, too. The old "Radio Shack 800 Mhz Scanner Antenna" is, apparently, the Remtronix antenna. And now there is an SMA version.

I've had the BNC version for over a decade on my BCD396T, 'XT, and now BCD436HP. Even with the addition of the SMA-BNC adapter, I can say that this antenna out-performs the stock Uniden antenna on all three radios.

It's funny that this thread is here as I am right now, in another browser window, looking for the best price. Scannermaster is $33.70 shipped ... Universal Radio has a cheaper list price, but won't tell you shipping up-front. May just go with Scannermaster.

troymail

Silent Key
ScannerMaster just tweeted this out, too. The old "Radio Shack 800 Mhz Scanner Antenna" is, apparently, the Remtronix antenna. And now there is an SMA version.

I've had the BNC version for over a decade on my BCD396T, 'XT, and now BCD436HP. Even with the addition of the SMA-BNC adapter, I can say that this antenna out-performs the stock Uniden antenna on all three radios.

It's funny that this thread is here as I am right now, in another browser window, looking for the best price. Scannermaster is $33.70 shipped ... Universal Radio has a cheaper list price, but won't tell you shipping up-front. May just go with Scannermaster.

Holy cow! And I thought RS was ripping me off the last time I went to buy another one and they were $24.95! I think my first one years ago was about $13-15 (uh-oh, I'm starting to sound like my father now).

DJ11DLN

Holy cow! And I thought RS was ripping me off the last time I went to buy another one and they were $24.95! I think my first one years ago was about $13-15 (uh-oh, I'm starting to sound like my father now).
Yup, they have gotten a bit proud of them. I grabbed one last week at the last remaining somewhat-local RS for that price. They had 7-8 more on the pin, I'll be over that way tonight, I may stop in and see if any are left and grab a couple more since the Remtronix version is going for so much. Never hurts to have a few spares in the drawer. Other than my very first one several years ago, which turned out to be defective, they are great little antennas and perform very well.

plaws

Premium Subscriber
troymail; said:
2708449I think my first one years ago was about $13-15 (uh-oh, I'm starting to sound like my father now).

Yeah. I had a little sticker shock as well. I know there has been a total of 19% inflation since 2006 but I was sure I'd only paid something like $15 for the original back in 2005! That's 100%, not 20.

Last edited:

captainmax1

Premium Subscriber

Drkatzjr45

Senior Member - Emeritus
Premium Subscriber
I have tried a kaleidoscope of antennas, and only Radio Shack's 800 gave me superior reception

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.