Radio Shack andselling warranty on a cord

Status
Not open for further replies.

twobytwo

My factory cord on my scanner played out so off to Radio Shack I go to buy a new one.While Im waiting to pay out the salesman asked if I wanted to purchase a warranty for 2 years for $10.00 on the cord.I thought is Radio Shack that desperate . I replied by saying "no ,if I need another cord I will just buy one". Then he tried to sell a 1 year warranty for $7.00.The cord was $25.00.

abear27

And he has to offer that to every customer... Probably on every sale he does....

It's sad they are trying to squeeze every last drop from the customer, rather than trying to actually be of help.

n5ims

Nearly every retailer of electronic items, appliances, etc. sells these extended warranties and their sales folks are instructed to attempt to sell them with every sale. It's a way to get some profit on items that generally have very little margin. They sell them regardless of if the warranty makes any sense or not. I've had WalMart attempt to sell me a $5 warranty on one of their discount DVDs that cost - wait for it - a whopping $5.00! What's nice is if you read the warranty, they don't even guarantee that they'll be able to replace the DVD with the same title, only a DVD of "similar value".

pjtnascar

This reminds me. I was in Radio Shack a couple of weeks ago. I overheard a manager in the back talking on the phone to what I guess was another store he managed. He was questioning the other party about cell pone sales and kept telling him to increase sales, don't let them walk away, etc. I guess the shack really pushes their employees to sell.

WAScanMan

This reminds me. I was in Radio Shack a couple of weeks ago. I overheard a manager in the back talking on the phone to what I guess was another store he managed. He was questioning the other party about cell pone sales and kept telling him to increase sales, don't let them walk away, etc. I guess the shack really pushes their employees to sell.

They push them to sell cells.

AJAT

Premium Subscriber
This is an excerpt from: Yahoo! Finance - Financially Fit

Most gadgets have a slim profit margins, which may be why retailers are so anxious to sell shoppers warranties, service plans and other protections, says experts -- even on purchases as cheap as a $20 cordless phone. Profit from those plans can easily top 50%, in large part because shoppers have little chance to make a claim on them. "Electronics, more than other products, tend to fail either in the first 30 days -- which is covered by the manufacturer's warranty -- or not at all," says Andrew Eisner, director of content for Retrevo.com.

Thayne

I was in there today to buy a 15-312 cheapo video switch, it was $17 or so, then got asked to get a warranty for $3, then got asked to give a donation for some charity on a touch screen right in front of the register and asked me to press the "No" button and I said no, you can do it. Then before I could leave he tried to sell me a cell phone. I lifted my shirt to show him I had a nexthell on the left & a verizon on the right. I asked him should I put his new one over my fly or above my plumbers crack?
Then my wife pulled me towards the door and gave me you know what all the way home for being rude--

I think they need to send those guys to Dale Carnegie nice classes or something :p

GrumpyAeroGuy

Premium Subscriber
reality is that biggger and bigger chumks of electronics store's margin are due to warranty sales. As a rule, I usually avoid those, but here are 2 stories where I was glad I DID get a warranty.

46" LED TV (List $2400+ some time ago). 5 year warranty: $299, Getting power board replaced under store warranty 3 weeks after factory warranty ran out: Priceless. List price of repair > $299 and 4 more years left to go.

Bluetooth head set for cell phone (RS) $60, 3 Year warranty: $19. I am on my third bluethooth in the second year. Basically, $69 for one, $89 for three--- over a period of three years. My experience is that the BT headsets last about 12-18months b4 crapping out (Motorolas) with less than a 1 year's manufacturer's warranty.

I never look at warranties for low ticket items. But, sometimes it has paid off for me. Just use my intuition. Luck of the draw I guess.

BeerNutz

Premium Subscriber
I went on a fishing trip with a female RS employee. Never went back home. 2 years later my wife divorces me and never says why. She got the house and I now buy my electronics at the dollar store.

It may have happened like that, I don't remember. My medication bottles are empty.

divemaster500

I went on a fishing trip with a female RS employee. Never went back home. 2 years later my wife divorces me and never says why. She got the house and I now buy my electronics at the dollar store.

It may have happened like that, I don't remember. My medication bottles are empty.

Without a doubt, BeerNutz is the most interesting person on this site!

lgentle

Same happened to me. Purchased a PRO-197 and the programming cable and was asked if I wanted an extended warranty on the cable! Told her "no" with a chuckle.

N0IU

It reminds me of the time I went to Radio Shack to buy some coax and the sales person asks, "How long do you want it?" to which I replied, "Pretty much forever!"

Status
Not open for further replies.