Radio Shack Announces Two Patrolman Radio's

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrequenC

Oh how I wanted one of these in 1968, I recall the summer of 1967, in Detroit we listened to the police radio in my neighbors back yard as the "67 riots" were taking place just blocks from where we lived on Detroit's east side. Hi Band as I remember, 157.600 MHZ.

I am so grateful for this forum and for its kind and knowledgeable members. The thrill of "Police Calls" and so much more is alive and well at the RR Forum and in the hearts of its members. I would like to suggest a forum within RR dedicated to scanner or police radio graphics and or radio / scanner listening memories. Heck, I would even moderate it if given the privelage.
Well that's my two cents.
73's to all
Mr. Lee

I shall pass this way but once. Therefore, any good that I can do or any kindness that I can show, let me do it now, for I shall not pass this way again.

Attachments

• patrolmanad.jpg
    patrolmanad.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 4,918

reedo

Premium Subscriber
This was my first vhf receiver and it served me well back in the day. Talking mid-sixties. Listened to the local sheriff frequency. The normal dispatch mode was simplex, could only hear the dispatcher. Always looked forward to the times they turned on "three-way" as they officially called it. This mode (repeater) allowed us to hear all transmissions between the cars and dispatcher. Years later, I got to meet one of the dispatchers, Morey, I had listened to for so many hours as a kid. As soon as I heard his voice that day, I knew who he was before the introduction.

georged4997

Premium Subscriber
i was listening to a radio shack tunable. when i got a regency 8 channel what a thrill.
i would love to watch those red lights flash across, it took 8 crystals. i would love to
have a new one now. thanks for the memories. it made my night looking at those pictures.

mikepdx

I had a RS Pro-2 (1971 vintage) once upon a time.
30-50 & 152-174 MHz Tuneable.

Worked pretty well listening to our local PD on 155.19 MHz - except...
when "Doctor's Radio Page" sent out paging tones on 155.205 MHz -
they wiped out the police.
Lousy selectivity.

pic of the rig at this RR post:
http://forums.radioreference.com/ge...eceiver-scanner-manufacturers.html#post951834

Looks like you could get a tri-bander for around $200 (1971 dollars).
That's over $1000 - in 2010 dollars. Wow!

Last edited:

ecps92

I still have one the High-band version ! And it still works ! in Analog :twisted:

Oh how I wanted one of these in 1968, I recall the summer of 1967, in Detroit we listened to the police radio in my neighbors back yard as the "67 riots" were taking place just blocks from where we lived on Detroit's east side. Hi Band as I remember, 157.600 MHZ.

I am so grateful for this forum and for its kind and knowledgeable members. The thrill of "Police Calls" and so much more is alive and well at the RR Forum and in the hearts of its members. I would like to suggest a forum within RR dedicated to scanner or police radio graphics and or radio / scanner listening memories. Heck, I would even moderate it if given the privelage.
Well that's my two cents.
73's to all
Mr. Lee

I shall pass this way but once. Therefore, any good that I can do or any kindness that I can show, let me do it now, for I shall not pass this way again.

FrequenC

Patrolman FrequenC reporting for duty

The road less travelled leads to radio heaven. On the alter of Police Band sits the VHF icon, all hail Saint Patrolman147-175. While not the most expensive or technically advanced receiver in your collection the Patrolman you display wins first place in the Greatest Memory category. It’s all I could do to keep from reaching out to adjust the squelch.

A Highway Patrol salute to you NYRHKY94
In the immortal words of Broderick Crawford
10-4

Hey pick me up a Moon Pie and an RC from the neighborhood market while you’re out.

Attachments

• rcmoonpatrolman.jpg
    rcmoonpatrolman.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 1,941

Shortwave2200

Premium Subscriber
I acquired these 2 from fleabay for 0.99 and 2.50.

Got silver automotive paint, gonna take them apart, clean the plastic, clean the controls and pcb boards then repaint where the silver paint has wore off. I want them to look like brand new when I'm done.

They are both fully functional.

The Jetstream was made the year I was born, that's a keeper.

Attachments

• 21160_196752853806533_2103967004_n.jpg
    21160_196752853806533_2103967004_n.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 1,942
  • 482592_196753887139763_1881049580_n.jpg
    482592_196753887139763_1881049580_n.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 1,564

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
This makes me think back to the days of my early interest in listening to the police and fire departments and going into Radio Shack and having the sales person actually take an interest in what I was interested in- not trying to sell me a cell phone or an extended warranty.

Nice collection by the way.

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
I still have one the High-band version ! And it still works ! in Analog :twisted:

Nice :). Just outta curiousity, what do ya hear on it, any ham or mabey CB? While i never owned one, it does bring back nice memories of a day when one could listen and enjoy it, i know i did with my 10-channel crystal-controlled Uniden Bearcat scanner while i was in highschool, we`d listen to JPD (Janesville PD) and JFD (Janesville fire) on that thing. N9NRA

D

DaveNF2G

I had a Patrolman 6 once. Sorry, no photo.

You know, if you still have the old radios, you could always add a discriminator tap...

:D

oilmillcharlie

Premium Subscriber
I hauled all my old scanners and receivers up to Scanner Master to add to their museum. If you are ever in the Holliston Ma. area you should try to stop by. Quite a collection. It will bring back a lot of memories.

B.K.

Not connected to SM in any way

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
I started out in the early '70's with a Rat Shack Patrolman Mini!

AM BCB and VHF/High, ran on a nine volt battery and fit in the palm of my hand.

What fun I had as a teen with that thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.