Radio Shack Antennas - Question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

btritch

How many people have noticed that on RS scanners after so long whether or not you remove the original antenna very much or not that the antenna becomes loose and as the radio gets moved around the channels you are listening to become fuzzy and staticy.. I have had two RS scanners, Pro 97 and another before it and both of them become the same way, Wheter I remove the antenna or not.. Does anyone know a fix for this? It seems to happen whether or not I have it on an adapter or on the RS scanner itself..It's not in the scanner plug, it's in the antenna itself, I can change antenna's and it doesn't do it..Does anyone else experience this problem?

xpawel15x

You mean ducky's bnc connectors are getting used up and loose? This does happen but shouldn't affect your reception..

btritch

I have noticed as I carry it with me or whatever, as the scanner is moving around I am hearing crackling I guess you could say in the radio reception..while it's not being moved it's fine...It's not in the BNC connector on the scanner because I can change antenna's and it will be ok or hook up an external antenna. Whatever it is it's in the antenna itself..it's a crackling popping noise and it's caused by the antenna. Is there a fix for that?

NWtoSFO

I have found with RS's stock antennas that they are better served to stir hot chocolate, point to something on the screen or just tap my head while I think. Which may explain why I forget so many things.

I have the Pro-97 and haven't found this to happen, although I discared the stock antenna not long after getting the scanner, so it never saw much action.

btritch

what's a good kind of portable antenna to use other than RS antenna's? I'm going to have to do something, I need something that will pick up to 10 miles in the boonies good, I usually end up there on weekends.. What's a good portable antenna online or otherwise besides the stock RS POS, I have to do something, It's getting worse, Ideas on where to get one anyone?

lugoffman

btritch said:
what's a good kind of portable antenna to use other than RS antenna's? I'm going to have to do something, I need something that will pick up to 10 miles in the boonies good, I usually end up there on weekends.. What's a good portable antenna online or otherwise besides the stock RS POS, I have to do something, It's getting worse, Ideas on where to get one anyone?

funny you asked about this i took back 4 pro97's scanners and finally i took the last one back and traded it for the pro164 and i be dag on if the same stuff all over again and trust me on this buying the 800 mhz duckie from them does the same ive been having the same problem you have since i bought one but i did buy me a larsen antenna but im sure you dont want to go carring around one of them but even at that its still loose fitting so i dont know what to do about it eather im having the same problem even with the pro97 and the pro164

mancow

Database Admin
They use cheap ass BNC connectors. I can't figure out why the standard was not set on TNC. It's a threaded connecor the size of a BNC and that would have eliminated all of this.

n2mdk

mancow said:
They use cheap ass BNC connectors. I can't figure out why the standard was not set on TNC. It's a threaded connecor the size of a BNC and that would have eliminated all of this.

I think they chose the BNC over the TNC was mainly the problem inherent with threaded connections people overtightening them and constantly screwing them on and off can loosen them. The TNC and BNC are identical in center and outer conductor both use the Neill-Concelman design.

n2mdk

btritch said:
150-170 MHZ very little 400-800 MHZ, Mainly all that matters is 150-170 MHZ..That's primary...

For those frequencies the old standard Diamond RH77CA is probably your best choice.

N1BHH

It's best to push down on the tensioner before you have to remove the antenna, otherwise you will cause the BNC connector to wear out quickly, don't just twist it. Mine fits snug but the duck moves slightly, but that is normal. if your are getting crunchies, I suggest you may be forcing it too much or the connector may be needing a touch of the soldering iron.

lugoffman

N1BHH said:
It's best to push down on the tensioner before you have to remove the antenna, otherwise you will cause the BNC connector to wear out quickly, don't just twist it. Mine fits snug but the duck moves slightly, but that is normal. if your are getting crunchies, I suggest you may be forcing it too much or the connector may be needing a touch of the soldering iron.

well with mine and his might be the same way the antenna goes on good no wearing or tearing just the antenna is wobbly like its loose and needs a smaller bnc connector cause it is on there fine but you can move it back and forth easily and this makes the fourth scanner i took back to radio shack regarding this and i just thought they were all supposed to be like that and now im out looking to buy a new antenna when all along it could be the scanner cause i monitor 155.490 and im using a larsen 150/450/800 mhz mag mount antenna and really cant tell a difference in it from the factory and i live in town 1 mile from the nearest tower

btritch

I changed antenna's tonight and put a long black antenna on it, I'm not sure what bands it picks up but it seems to work better, It's not loose like the other one was.. Whatever it is it's in the antenna itself, not the radio, I'll just use another antenna other than RS POS's.

lugoffman

btritch said:
I changed antenna's tonight and put a long black antenna on it, I'm not sure what bands it picks up but it seems to work better, It's not loose like the other one was.. Whatever it is it's in the antenna itself, not the radio, I'll just use another antenna other than RS POS's.
LOL!!!! im using the larsen still and went over and got me a new bnc connector and its a little bit tighter also the dag on tv noises i was getting is gone. well so far its gone. but still need a antenna for the house any ideas ??????????? may go with the maxrad with a mag mount to put on my balconey its got still railing what every one else think

kc9kfj

The connectors on all of my stock Radio Shack antennas wore out after a 2-3 weeks of use.This does cause signals to cut in and out when walking or driving with the scanner.

lugoffman

kc9kfj said:
The connectors on all of my stock Radio Shack antennas wore out after a 2-3 weeks of use.This does cause signals to cut in and out when walking or driving with the scanner.
mine came right out of the box that way i should of took it back right then i still got a warranty on it i might take it back and go get me one some were else lol

btritch

n2mdk said:
For those frequencies the old standard Diamond RH77CA is probably your best choice.
Where can one of these be found at? Online? In stores?

And as for putting the mag mount antenna on the balcony, I say try it that's how I started, It's better than nothing, What have you got to loose, LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.