Radio Shack drops to $1 a share on renewed bankruptcy rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD0TAZ

Feed Provider
In 1981 I worked just enough hours to get 1 share of stock in the employee purchase program. That share was issued as a physical certificate. Later, that share split, and I got a 2nd 1-share certificate. I kept one of them as a "memento"...having a 1-share certificate of anything is rare. Now, of course, you don't see actual share certificates at all...I think it is a nice relic of another age (both for RS and for the stock market).

Yeah mine came as actual certificates as well.. I don't have any singles though, mine were coming as 5-10 each because they would only issue the certificates at the end of the year. I have 53 total. When I earned the last set they were worth almost $70 a share.. Now that hurts.

Last edited:

Boatanchor

If the Shack goes under, where does that leave Whistler and it's scanner lineup?
I'm fairly sure that RS's large distribution network and the RS re-branded scanners would have been a huge factor in Whistler agreeing to buy out the GRE IP in the first place.

It doesn't bode well for either company or us scanner users..

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
I knew a guy who worked his way up the ladder from assistant manager up to northeast regional manager. He left many many moons ago for a corporate job with a major bank where he still works. Wise move! He told me back then, he did not like where RS was going, He believed in trained employees and good pay, 2 things RS does not care about. You know what? not IF but WHEN they go under, oh well! They did it to themselves. There obviously is no vision at the top levels. It is a shame that a business with so much potential, is so poorly managed. Good riddance to bad rubbish! RS today is not even a hint of what it once was.

Manny

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
I knew a guy who worked his way up the ladder from assistant manager up to northeast regional manager. He left many many moons ago for a corporate job with a major bank where he still works. Wise move! He told me back then, he did not like where RS was going, He believed in trained employees and good pay, 2 things RS does not care about. You know what? not IF but WHEN they go under, oh well! They did it to themselves. There obviously is no vision at the top levels. It is a shame that a business with so much potential, is so poorly managed. Good riddance to bad rubbish! RS today is not even a hint of what it once was.

Manny

Amen to that

redneckcellphone

Premium Subscriber
I went to my local RS here in LA and asked the employee if they had any police scanners. He looked at me like I was crazy and replied "umm no, those are illegal" right behind him on display was a pro-97 and a 528
lol.. I asked him what was the pro-97 and he replied with a smirk "it's a walkie talkie" hahaha

Yet he probably has an app on his phone that Is legal. Haha

connor - wqnd300

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
If I thought they had a chance of a merger/buyout/reorganization and comeback... I would buy at least 100 shares tomorrow and be a millionaire within ten years. But I do not have the faith this time, I think seriously, they will no longer exist in five years as an corporate entity.

iamhere300

They could file Chapter 11 if their long-term revenues will be higher than the liquidation value of the assets. That might be a tough one without significant revenue improvement.

Yep, but they will hire experts at re-organization to handle that. Should not be a real issue, as long as they present a plan that is different than the past. A much bigger web presence, perhaps even doing their marketing, or at least a portion of it through Amazon would seem to me to be integral, along with smaller stores, but next day distribution through a distribution channel that is responsive.

I like the thought of instore repair for cell phones and such, at more than just one metro location. A LOT of that kind of repair can be while you wait repairs.

iamhere300

I'm glad you asked this - as an aspiring CEO myself someday, this is a fun "what if" game.

If I were RS's CEO I'd focus on 3 major areas for the core business:

Accessories: Whether it's a cable, connector, battery, antenna, charger, remote control or carrying case we would stock it in every store.

Service: The other side of the coin that is the core business. I've got a tablet right now that needs a new screen.

Consumables: Printer ink, toner, paper, blank DVD's, batteries, we'd have them all right there in the store, clearly marked and easy to find. Pricing wouldn't be the cheapest out there, but I think RS would win by selling the convenience of already being in the store. I'd also have a kiosk in each store that can help you pick the right cartridge for your printer or the right battery for your cell phone - another convenience. It could even give you a coupon towards a future purchase.

Other things:
I'd lose the "assault you at the door" salesdroid behavior. That's a turn off and keeps people from wandering in to look.
Radio Control toys should be prominently displayed up front and visible to passersby. Take advantage of kid's natural tendency to want to see the cool dune buggy or helicopter, and their parents will follow.
Create a loyalty program. Each purchase earns you points towards stuff you might actually want to use, such as free batteries or printer ink or save them up to redeem for high end electronics in the online store - something to keep you coming back and thinking RadioShack instead of Best Buy or Walmart when you need some batteries or an HDMI cable.

-AZ

Some very good points. I would change employee compensation - put more of the operation into the store level. Pay everyone a wage and then bonus depending on store sales. Nothing dependent on beating up every person who walks in the front door.

Your service idea is very good. Really good. I could see that, but do worry about how in depth the computer repairs might take you. Screens, LCD's, little stuff like that, that seems like a major calamity to the user, are easy. The other computer stuff may be just as easy, I just don't know - not my area of expertise.

Cables and adapters, agreed - except no way you can stock "everything". But you can make a real dent in it

I would have multiple kiosks for all the other stuff. Feed them massive bandwidth so they are quick and easy.

quarterwave

The email ad I got this morning says it all....

The 2 pictured, featured items were....a cell phone you can get 29 other places....and wait for it....T-Shirts.

Yep, I can clearly see what is wrong.

DPD1

Sad, but I'm actually surprised it took this long to get to this point. They're one of those businesses you drive by and go... 'How are they still in business?' I remember reading something years ago, that claimed Bill Gates wanted to buy them at one time, simply to be able to have that customer database they created over the years. I have no idea if that's just an internet myth or not. Of course, creating a customer database is normal procedure nowadays, but back then... it was unheard of. And probably one of the first things that the 'big brother' type people, were paranoid about. :) I remember them always asking for everybody's info at checkout, and how weird that always seemed back then.

It's easy to criticize them. They certainly did do a lot of things wrong. But in all fairness, I'm not sure they could have done anything to save themselves. Their niche is dead. And the proof is that, electronics component stores in general, are almost dead. There used to be about a dozen around here... now there's barely two, maybe. The big electronics stores and internet killed off their appliance sales... the real cell businesses made their phone sales pointless... and the big online component dealers took that part away. So what's left? Not much. Brick and mortar stores in general, have it super tough nowadays. I think somebody would have to just completely reinvent them. But there's a huge list of past stores like this, that prove it's extremely difficult.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
If I thought they had a chance of a merger/buyout/reorganization and comeback... I would buy at least 100 shares tomorrow and be a millionaire within ten years. But I do not have the faith this time, I think seriously, they will no longer exist in five years as an corporate entity.

I'm tempted to anyway. I mean come on, a hundred shares for $100? You almost can't lose and if you do, you only lost $100 which is usually what I normally throw away on slot machines every time I go to Vegas anyway. Same money, different gamble. Sure I probably will make nothing but as you said, what if they turn it around?

Gonna talk to the wife about it and see what she thinks. She's in charge of money matters in our house. ;)
-AZ

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
I'm tempted to anyway. I mean come on, a hundred shares for $100? You almost can't lose and if you do, you only lost $100 which is usually what I normally throw away on slot machines every time I go to Vegas anyway. Same money, different gamble. Sure I probably will make nothing but as you said, what if they turn it around?

Gonna talk to the wife about it and see what she thinks. She's in charge of money matters in our house. ;)
-AZ

You make an valid point Az... I seriously am thinking of doing it... I had an offer to buy stock at 18 in a little known company called Microsoft at $12.50 a share... parents talked me out of it then... I could shoot myself over that. So if my account looks right next week,... I am investing.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I made that bet with K-Mart stock. Ended up having to pay $20 to get the worthless paper journalled out of my account. OTOH, folks who bought American Airlines stock at its lowest made out like bandits. Don't confuse this with investing, though. This is just out-and-out gambling.

iamhere300

If RS does close, where are all the small pe.... The people who are trying to make up for shortcomings going to go? You know the guy, he walks into a RS store, asks what frequency is for ABC plumbing company, and then gets upset when the sales guy says "I have no idea, have you looked online at Radio Reference?"

Then the guy comes away from the store and starts complaining to all his friends and online about how terrible the store is because they did not know, and have crystals in stock for his old scanner on that frequency.

I won't even go into people who continue to make fun of a slogan they stopped using many years ago....

Status
Not open for further replies.