Radio Shack Magnet Mount Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

conve36

Works amazing for me! Took about 3 minutes to assemble and a quick install on my bmw.

This magnet is strong! Held up strong on my trunk at speeds over 90 MPH!!!

Noticed a considerable increase in low band coverage, use this antenna to monitor California Highway Patrol. (but also monitor 800MHz trunking too, and works great as well)

I use this antenna with my Uniden BC246T.

ch40n1k

I also use this antenna on my car. The Interstate speed limits north of town are 75, and I've had no issues at all at 85-90. I'm using it to monitor some VHF, but mostly 800.

af5rn

Works amazing for me! Took about 3 minutes to assemble and a quick install on my bmw.
Now just give it a light sanding and spray a coat of flat black Rust-Oleum paint on it and it won't look so ugly on your BMW! Win!

Noticed a considerable increase in low band coverage, use this antenna to monitor California Highway Patrol.
Increase over what? The rubber duck? That's not hard to do, lol. A coat hanger will do that. :lol:

tcb4ep

radio shack mountable

i bought mine as a started,, i have storm windows, meaning double glass so i could not mount it as it should be.. so i took a shoe string and tied both ends together and put it above my window curtains, laying on the rail. it works great.. but something else which does not belong in this thread so will post it where it goes,,

digitalanalog

Now just give it a light sanding and spray a coat of flat black Rust-Oleum paint on it and it won't look so ugly on your BMW! Win!

Was not aware an antenna had to look nice to work, That's a new one.
BMW or Chevette if it works it works,who cares what it looks like.
Unless your competing with the Johnsons and there fancy high dollar perspectives.

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
i bought mine as a started,, i have storm windows, meaning double glass so i could not mount it as it should be.. so i took a shoe string and tied both ends together and put it above my window curtains, laying on the rail. it works great.. but something else which does not belong in this thread so will post it where it goes,,

what do you mean laying it on the rail? isn't it susposed to be vertical? shoe strings to hold an antenna up? that sounds tacky. I hope it's getting a decent ground plane. the magnet should hold itself up without shoe strings if it's mounted on a big flat piece of metal as intended.

Eric burris

tcb4ep

what do you mean laying it on the rail? isn't it susposed to be vertical? shoe strings to hold an antenna up? that sounds tacky. I hope it's getting a decent ground plane. the magnet should hold itself up without shoe strings if it's mounted on a big flat piece of metal as intended.

Eric burris

by rail i was to say along the curtian rod. the antenna should be mounted outside with the cable on the inside of the window both parts flush to the window to transmit the signal.
the shoe string might be tacky, it works.. and yes i will be doing a serious upgrade. i just make due with what i got to work with.

kirka127

I think tcb4ep is referring to a glass mount antenna not the mag mount
Kirk

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Scanner Antennas on sale right now....

http://www.radioshack.com/family/in...pe/Scanner/HAM&fbn=Type/Scanner/HAM

Actually just picked one up myself. I had to return it because the main screw that the base screws on to came crooked from the factory leaving a noticeable gap. The manager gave me such an attitude that I just took my new antenna and left before I really told her what I thought of her store......Like its MY fault the antenna came defective....

Manny

hoser147

I got a couple of them, had one for years, and ya its painted black on a black car, its less noticeable. They work good whether on the car or as a temp on a A/C unit while out of town. The last one I bought on a Garage sale for a buck or two, the guy told me it was incase your antenna got broke off your car. lol Hoser

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Black is beautiful.....

Hoser!
You have me laughing my butt off right now! I painted mine black as well. It sits on the roof of my Expedition, you guessed it, black as well.....LOL. I dont care, I love it.

Manny

Status
Not open for further replies.