Radio Shack Power Adapter Alternatives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hvscan

Does anyone have a source for an alternative to the Radio Shack Enercell line of power adapters? They are somewhat costly, so I've been looking for another brand (new or used) that will be suitable for a Pro 137 and Pro 97 (2 different adapters).

cpsTN

I don't know specifically, but if you look at the power requirements (voltage and milliamps) on the back or side of the units and just get one from wherever that has those requirements. Also, look at where the adapter plugs into the radio. There will be a symbol near the hole that looks like this C-- (a mostly closed circle with a line coming out of it). After the line will be a + or - (plus or minus) sign. This tells you the polarity of the tip of the plug that goes into the radio. Just buy one with a TIP of the same polarity as the radio says, get the right voltage and milliamp requirements and it will work.

If you already know all of this, I am sorry for explaining it. I didn't mean to make you look dumb, but I don't know how much people know about things, and I don't want your radios to get damaged by omission.

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
Does anyone have a source for an alternative to the Radio Shack Enercell line of power adapters? They are somewhat costly, so I've been looking for another brand (new or used) that will be suitable for a Pro 137 and Pro 97 (2 different adapters).

There are many places on the internet to get adapters. as an example, Mouser Electronics - Electronic Component Distributor carries over 2000 ac adapters.

hvscan

Charles, thanks for your information and no need to apologize. Someone searching this thread in the future may not have the information you posted, so it is certainly of value and appreciated.

Doug, thanks...I am going to try Mouser.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I've been able to pick up used adapters from flea markets and garage sales and then wire the correct connector to them. The hardest part for me has been finding the odd connector for the PRO-95s & PRO-97s.

GumbyCT

Flea markets and tag sales are great ideas. I found a Universal (1300mA) AC/DC adapter for $18.88 and a Universal car adapter on closeout for $8. Both at Walmart.

I needed 9V/500mA but having the Universal helped me troubleshoot a voltage power problem with my Pro-106 too.

Last edited:

cpsTN

Charles, thanks for your information and no need to apologize. Someone searching this thread in the future may not have the information you posted, so it is certainly of value and appreciated.

Doug, thanks...I am going to try Mouser.

You are certainly welcome.

hvscan

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9530/5.0.0.328 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I tried Mouser, both by e-mail and online chat. They don't carry the correct inside diameter plug / adapter combination. I'm going to check Walmart this weekend. I'm also going to check my junk box to see if there is anything I can put together in there.

GumbyCT

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9530/5.0.0.328 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)
I'm also going to check my junk box to see if there is anything I can put together in there.
I never throw out an AC adapter :)

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I tried Mouser, both by e-mail and online chat. They don't carry the correct inside diameter plug / adapter combination. I'm going to check Walmart this weekend. I'm also going to check my junk box to see if there is anything I can put together in there.
As I wrote, I had a very tough time finding the correct connectors. Radio Shack wanted to sell me that "set" of plugs for $19, and I rejected that. The only place I could find them around here (which has quite a bit) is an Electronics store that caters to odd-ball stuff.

kevin390

When I first got into scanning I got all my accessories, batteries and wall-warts at Radio Shack. Over the years, the prices went up and up. They even started to make you pay for the adapter. After a while I checked on the universal adapters at Wal-Mart ( wall-warts ) and they were allot cheaper. I mean more then half the price. Even the Batteries were half price compared to the Shack. So for the last 7-8 years I get my accessories at Wal-Mart. Never had a problem and they come with a bunch of adapters.........Ray

hvscan

Thanks everyone for the continued suggestions and comments. I'm going to try to get to Walmart over the weekend and will report back on my findings. RS wants $20 a piece for the Pro 137 power adapters, which is too high in my opinion. While I may still end up there for them, I'll try to run down all other options first.

DBrit2010

Ramble

As I wrote, I had a very tough time finding the correct connectors. Radio Shack wanted to sell me that "set" of plugs for $19, and I rejected that. The only place I could find them around here (which has quite a bit) is an Electronics store that caters to odd-ball stuff.

I just want to make a point. This is nuts. Radio Shack, "The Shack" they like to call it these days if driving me crazy with some pricing issues. This is really the only place for me to go around my area and it is braking the bank. sorry for the ramble.

Status
Not open for further replies.