Radio Shack Pro 106 and the Pennsylvania PA-STARNet

cmance357

Hi Everyone
I have a Pro106 i have had it for a while i bought it in 2009 and have spent a lot of time listening to it. I updated it a while ago with all the Pennsylvania. I have done this a few times over the years. I have had a great time with it.

I have noticed though that even though i have the trunked systems from PA-STARNet imported into WIN500, and subsequently loaded onto the scanner,
I seldom get any hits. when i do get the occasional hit, the voice is so garbled i cannot make anything out.

My guess is, and i am coming here to confirm is that my scanner is an outdated piece of kit that needs replaced. If this is not the case, what in the world am i doing wrong. If my scanner is too outdated to use anymore - Can anyone recommend a handheld that i can replace it with, that will do the trunked systems and everything else.

I guess i should ask this first, but does anyone know if the PA-STRARNet is all encrypted, so if i can get a scanner to program it would it even be worth the hassle or expense, or would i just be right back where i started? When looking at the list of frequencies, i see two different sets of letters in the Mode column. "T" and "TE" does this have anything to do with encryption?

I like the scan lists in the pro 106, how i can turn them on and off depending on what i am doing. that is something i am looking for with a new scanner. I am looking at the Uniden BCD325P2.

I have seen a lot of posts regarding this topic, however none of them seem to entirely answer my question.
Thank you to all for your time.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I have noticed though that even though i have the trunked systems from PA-STARNet imported into WIN500, and subsequently loaded onto the scanner,
I seldom get any hits. when i do get the occasional hit, the voice is so garbled i cannot make anything out.
PA-STARNet is entirely P25 Phase 2 (T in Mode Column). The PRO-106 is capable of P25 Phase 1 only (D in Mode column). It is not capable of receiving anything on the PA-STARNet system. No scanner is capable of receiving any talkgroups with a mode of DE or TE which are fully encrypted.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
The PA-STARNet system is fully encrypted
FALSE!
PSP (state police) is fully encrypted as is all other talkgroups ID'ed as mode "TE". However there are many talkgroups on the system which can be tracked, mode "T". With that said: The OP will NOT be able to bring the system in using a Pro 106. At the bare minimum a P25 Phase-II scanner which can trunk track TDMA talkgroups will be needed to bring the system in. Simulcast is not in play on this system so any TDMA scanner on the linked list should work

cmance357

DE and TE indicate full time encryption.
De and Te indicate part time encryption.

D = P25 Phase I.
T = P25 Phase II.

The PA-STARNet system is fully encrypted.

John
Peoria, AZ
The whole system is? that is disappointing. I knew the police are encrypted. But i wanted to hear other agencies like the DCNR and others/

cmance357

FALSE!
PSP (state police) is fully encrypted as is all other talkgroups ID'ed as mode "TE". However there are many talkgroups on the system which can be tracked, mode "T". With that said: The OP will NOT be able to bring the system in using a Pro 106. At the bare minimum a P25 Phase-II scanner which can trunk track TDMA talkgroups will be needed to bring the system in. Simulcast is not in play on this system so any TDMA scanner on the linked list should work
Oh! So not all the groups are encrpted. Is that what the "Mode T" vs "Mode TE" means?
i figured my pro 106 was antiquated. such is life. i don't really care about the state police frequencies. I knew those were encrpyted. But i am interested in hearing anything at all.
So in your opinion, if i were to buy a scanner to listen to P25 phase 2, i, in theory would be able to hear something. Even if its just park rangers and the like?

cmance357

FALSE!
PSP (state police) is fully encrypted as is all other talkgroups ID'ed as mode "TE". However there are many talkgroups on the system which can be tracked, mode "T". With that said: The OP will NOT be able to bring the system in using a Pro 106. At the bare minimum a P25 Phase-II scanner which can trunk track TDMA talkgroups will be needed to bring the system in. Simulcast is not in play on this system so any TDMA scanner on the linked list shoul

I see a lot of stuff that’s not encrypted on that system.
Kevin, so then there are things i could hear? i guess then i could get any scanner (in theory) that picks up p25 phase 2.
I guess that is what the T vs TE means then in the mode?
Thank you for your time

cmance357

PA-STARNet is entirely P25 Phase 2 (T in Mode Column). The PRO-106 is capable of P25 Phase 1 only (D in Mode column). It is not capable of receiving anything on the PA-STARNet system. No scanner is capable of receiving any talkgroups with a mode of DE or TE which are fully encrypted.
Thank you for replying. I know that none of us can listen to the encrypted stuff. I have come to terms with that. I also will have to buy a new scanner. No problem. just figured i would ask. Any suggestions as what would work in your experience for the P25 Phase 2 system? there are so many choices!

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
As already stated, gotta get a P25 Phase II scanner to hear any of the "clear" talkgroups on this system. Just be aware that the Game Commission recently decided to start using encrypted comms, so they're basically gone now, and DCNR usage is sporadic at best in some regions. You may want to determine what is actually in use in your area before upgrading scanners, although a new toy certainly couldn't be a bad thing lol.

KB7MIB

Sorry for the misinformation. I had forgotten that PSP isn't the only agency on that system. I didn't take the time to double check.

(I grew up in Abington, moved away in '84. My dad was a fire police officer with Roslyn fire company, and the Montgomery County Volunteer Fire Police Association. I've only been back 3 times, and I haven't been back since 2012, and that was just an overnight trip to pick up my mom's car and drive it back here.)

John
Peoria, AZ

SurgePGH

Premium Subscriber
The PA StarNet system doesn't have the best coverage in a majority of Westmoreland County. I am in the Rostraver TWP area and can NOT hear it from there.

cmance357

As already stated, gotta get a P25 Phase II scanner to hear any of the "clear" talkgroups on this system. Just be aware that the Game Commission recently decided to start using encrypted comms, so they're basically gone now, and DCNR usage is sporadic at best in some regions. You may want to determine what is actually in use in your area before upgrading scanners, although a new toy certainly couldn't be a bad thing lol.
Yeah its a shame, but i know its a dead horse to discuss it. I actually travel often. i had different lists set up in my 106. However the last couple days it seems like the SDS 100 from Uniden already has all the RR stuff programed into it, and can start scanning based on zip code. i am going to do some digging and see if this will actually work for what i want to do, but so far most of what i have read seems to be positive. and the sds 100 will get me to 90% of what i want. as fun as it would be to listen to the state police, there is plenty to gather from other undecrypted sources. Interestingly enough, the port authorities of a lot of cities offer more than you would expect.
Anyways. Thanks for your time. Have a nice day.

cmance357

The PA StarNet system doesn't have the best coverage in a majority of Westmoreland County. I am in the Rostraver TWP area and can NOT hear it from there.
That is good information. Wow according to the state's propaganda, there is coverage in 97% of all counties! shocking it does not work well there for you. (its hard to denote sarcasm when typing,) ill keep that in mind, as Westmoreland county was one of the areas i was hoping to get more signals in. Anyway thank you for taking the time to reply. Have a good day

SurgePGH

Premium Subscriber
That is good information. Wow according to the state's propaganda, there is coverage in 97% of all counties! shocking it does not work well there for you. (its hard to denote sarcasm when typing,) ill keep that in mind, as Westmoreland county was one of the areas i was hoping to get more signals in. Anyway thank you for taking the time to reply. Have a good day
Their “97%” I believe is mobile coverage with an actual radio. Scanners do not have the sensitivity to come close to their 97%. I really wish I could hear it from the house.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Their “97%” I believe is mobile coverage with an actual radio. Scanners do not have the sensitivity to come close to their 97%. I really wish I could hear it from the house.
This. The majority of trunked systems are built out to 97% on-street coverage from mobiles, maybe 95% on-street portable coverage in some cases, not normally guaranteeing in-building coverage as a whole. Certainly not using a consumer grade scanner inside the house with an all-band 'jack of all trades, master of none' rubber ducky antenna. The coverage figures are for real subscriber radios that have much better sensitivity and selectivity.