Radio Shack PRO-106 for sure pick up our VA. State Police Now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

N4TUX

Hello all....
I am interested in a new hand held police scanner the Radio Shack PRO-106 but after looking here on RadioReference.com it says VA. State Police has moved to STARS. I was wondering if this PRO-106 will now pick up the VA. State Police now on STARS. I have been told for a good while they was on P25 system. Also please if you will share a web link to buy usb programming cable and software for this scanner, thank you.

Web link
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?aid=595

Also web link
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=3783

Please reply and comments are greatly appreciated thank you.

N4TUX Boyd
Jonesville, Lee County, VA.

N4TUX

I just wanted to add that before VA. State Police went to APCO 25 and digital they use to be on 159.165 Mhz. Wytheville dispatch and cars talked back to dispatch on 155.445 Mhz. and TAC freq. was 154.665 Mhz.

I see this forum has said:
System Type: Project 25 Phase I
System Voice: APCO-25 Common Air Interface Exclusive

So I hope the PRO-106 scanner can receive the VA. State Police really well and with no problems?

Our pathetic local Lee County, VA. sheriffs dept. and town police is on 37.300 Mhz. which is a joke and should be on VHF High Band or at least UHF band.

Spending $375 for a new Radio Shack PRO-106 to listen to VA. State Police is a bunch of money to do that.

Looking forward to seeing your expert replies on my posts.

Thank you again!

N4TUX Boyd Jonesville, Lee County, VA.

QDP2012

Generally, the Pro106 does very well at picking-up the agencies using the VA STARS system. It will not decrypt when/if encryption is used.

Hope this helps,

N4TUX

QDP2012 hello and thank you for your reply and comment.

I was sorda also hoping that some other police scanner listeners in my area might be members here and actually listens to my areas with their police scanners and recommend a scanner to buy. I hate to risk paying out $375 for mainly just aiming to listening to VA. State Police only. Other wise all my other police scanner listening can be easily done with a $99 scanner.

Other replies are greatly appreciated!

N4TUX Boyd

QDP2012

Welcome to RR N4TUX,
  • The Pro 106 is certainly not the only scanner that will pick-up STARS. To listen to STARS you need a "Digital trunking scanner".

As you probably know, the RS 197 is a mobile version of the RS 106. If you are not looking specifically for a handheld, this other thread mentions a sale on the Pro 197 at some RS stores. (Thread: pro197 on clearance).

Some Uniden models also will receive STARS. I think they include the 396XT and 996XT.

• In case you haven't checked it yet, you might want to search the Virginia forum. It has quite a bit of information about the STARS system and which scanner models will receive it.

• The RR Wiki also has information about STARS and some models capable of receiving it. Some models prior to the RS106/197 will receive the STARS system.

The RS Pro 96 is a Digital Trunking scanner, but is discontinued. If you found a way to buy one, it should receive STARS.

For more info:
    RR Wiki: Pro-96
    RR Wiki: Trunktrackers_and_STARS

Hope this helps,

KC4YIN

Premium Subscriber
I was through there back in May on my way to a wedding in Ohio and mine worked fine on STARS.

kc4jgc

I have a '106; works great on STARS. Have all divisions programmed. I was in Washington Co/Bristol area not long ago; had no problems.

N4TUX

Hey there QDP2012 thank you so so much for the reply comment and all your information.

I do thank all here and your comments, yes I do thank each of you all.

N4TUX Boyd.

Status
Not open for further replies.