Radio Shack Pro-106 w/ARC500 Software Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased a Radio Shack Pro-106 w/ARC500 Software from BuTeL but have absolutely no idea how to use it. I read the manual but I need a little extra help on understanding what to do. I'm trying to program my scanner to monitor my area. (Perferrably 2 counties)

Kansas City MO Public Safety Trunking System, Kansas City, Missouri - Scanner Frequencies
is the area that I'm in. I would like MO-Clay MO-Platte to be programmed into my scanner. Can someone please help me understand how to use this software and my scanner in a more user-friendly way. This is after all, my first scanner. Thanks in advance.

w2xq

Mentor
Do you have the RS 20-546 cable? That connects between the PC and the PC/IF jack on the right side of the PRO-106. Do not use the short pigtail connector cable. First thing to do is find the USB COM port (usually 14) via the Windows Control Panel's Device Manager. You'll need to enter that value in other dialog boxes; the software should remember the port number for the future.

In ARC500, there are a row of buttons atop the screen. The last one on the right is "Virtual". Click on that one to open a new dialog window that is a representation of the scanner display and keypad.

Assuming you don't have any frequencies in the -106 yet, click on the "WX" button (2 columns, right side, next to the number keypad). You should be able to scan the NOAA frequencies; it should stop on a strong signal.

Click on the TUNE button (2 columns, left side). Click on the virtual keypad to enter a known CONVentional frequency (such as a busy ham repeater or EMS or ?) and don't forget the decimal. You should hear the signal.

If you cannot do either of these things with the Virtual Control panel, revisit the Device Manager and find the COM port.

For whatever it is worth, I didn't need the drivers mentioned in the manual and here on RR. I was using Vista SP2, now 32-bit Win7.

If the Virtual Control panel is working with the -106, you should be able to download a file or two. Exit/close the Virtual Control panel. Click on the larger RadioReference button (4th from the right) atop the program's main window and follow the dialog box instructions.

Let us know how it goes. HTH.

krazykop1299

There are also some good videos on you tube on this subject, that make it pretty easy. That's easy for me to say, since I don't have the scanner yet, but, it'll be easier to do the steps as I watch the videos. I think I put in something like "Using computer software to program pro 106 scanner or something like that. If you need me to, I can double check what the videos are called. There are 4 different parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.