Radio Shack Pro 106

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrumpyGuard

I see that Radio Shack did lower the price of this scanner. My question is this, how does it compare to the other digital scanners on the market?
Is this a wise choice or should I be looking at the Uniden scanners?

Thanks for your advice.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
I see that Radio Shack did lower the price of this scanner. My question is this, how does it compare to the other digital scanners on the market?
Is this a wise choice or should I be looking at the Uniden scanners?

Thanks for your advice.
180 reviews on RS page on Pro-106. Most are favorable but receiving multicast - simulcast CQPSK APCO 25 is likely the major complaint also a Uniden problem with CQPSK systems.

I have a pair of Pro-197s plus a PSR-500 and PSR-600. 600 is same as 197 and 500 same as 106. All great scanners and all can be easily upgraded.

Last edited:

hcpholder

Premium Subscriber
If you plan on monitoring any P-25 700 sites you need the Pro-106 or 197. The Pro-96 doesn't work on the 700 MHz frequencies!

tojohnso

I've been very happy with the 106. In my area, State Police are using digital P25. There are few digital scanners on the market. The thing about the 106 though is it's the GRE 500 which comes with some needed accessories that you'll pay extra for at Radio Shack like an A/C adapter and computer cable (necessary). I mainly went with the RS version due to time - I needed a scanner faster than I could get the GRE.

In the end it worked out for me because RS put the scanner on sale the day after I bought it and refunded the difference. With the price being $100 less, it didn't matter too much since I got the computer cable $10 off and the a/c adapter at a good price as well.

Before buying the 106, I read up on the Uniden scanners as well. I don't recall why I chose the 106 over the Uniden but there was a good reason.

Twister_2

Feed Provider
If I'm reading the posts above correctly, Pro-106's don't do good with simulcast? I have a problem with my 106 on our p25 500 MHz simulcast. I can't hardly hear anything.

rmiller818

If I'm reading the posts above correctly, Pro-106's don't do good with simulcast? I have a problem with my 106 on our p25 500 MHz simulcast. I can't hardly hear anything.

That is not something that only affects the 106, this is an issue with all digital scanners. Your location has more of an affect on it than anything. Here at my house, the reception is hit or miss, I drive a couple miles in any direction (get closer to a repeater) and reception improves.

No scanner on the market right now is properly built to receive CQPSK, that is not to say it won't however, it just is not always optimal.

mancow

Database Admin
The 106 is excellent and GRE makes the best scanning receiver on the market (RF wise) in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.