Radio Shack Pro-163

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobCrk

I live in Waco TX in Mclennan county I am thinking of buying this unit to replace my really old unit, I am wanting to listen to police, fire, sheriff and dps any comments or suggestions on this one or a similar unit would be appreciated
Thanks for any advice

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Hi BobCrk,

The Pro-163 Triple Trunking Scanner should work just fine for your area. On the Waco / McLennan County Motorola Trunked system there are two talkgroups that are digital, but look to be mostly encrypted. I could say it would be justified to purchase a digital scanner unless you absolutely want to hear those talkgroups. If so, you may find one cheaper in the Classifieds section or eBay.

Take a look at this link and you can listen to scanners in your area to see what you've been missing:
McLennan County, Texas (TX) Live Police, Fire, and EMS Scanners on RadioReference.com

Don't forget to research the Wiki entry on the Pro-163 for more detail: Pro-163 - The RadioReference Wiki

BobCrk

pro 163

the person at radio shack assured me that the pro 163 would pick up dps here in central texas and that the digital is just for data. He has gotten this info from DPS troopers, so I am a little confused and do not want to throw away 200. He also said the pro 197 was not designed for this area?

N8IAA

the person at radio shack assured me that the pro 163 would pick up dps here in central texas and that the digital is just for data. He has gotten this info from DPS troopers, so I am a little confused and do not want to throw away 200. He also said the pro 197 was not designed for this area?

He doesn't know what he's talking about. DPS in your county is conventional, VHF P-25. You will be able to monitor your city and county on the trunked system with the 163. But, with the 197, you will be able to listen to your county and the DPS. I bet he knows what cell phone works the best;)
Larry

Edit: One more point. If at any time your county/city wish to go digital on their system, you will be able to monitor them with the 197, not the 163.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.