Radio Shack Pro-163

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
What are your opinions on that one for my new scanner?
I've never owned that scanner. However, if you're familiar with the old Pro-2055, you'd recognize much of the 163, from what I've read. It's the Radio Shack labeled version of the PSR-400, and is (more or less) a slightly updated successor to the 2055, which can be updated for rebanded systems.

You might also look at the PSR-410, GRE's replacement for the now discontinued 400. The vast majority of the comments I've seen on it have been positive, especially regarding the improved display. It's also an analog trunk-tracker. One side note- If you went with the 410 (over the 163), you might lean toward Win500 as your programming software choice. The reason is simple. Win500 will work for both the PSR-410 (and the handheld version, the PSR-310), as well as the GRE digital scanners PSR-500 (handheld) and PSR-600 (base/mobile). I mention that because eventually, some of the agencies in your area may switch from the analog TxWARN to the digital version. Of course, the unknown factor is whether that system will fully convert to a Phase II or not. (See this thread for some discussion.)

Like fasteddy, I also prefer the Unidens. I prefer the way the memory is organazed, but that's a personal preference. In Uniden's line, the analog trunk tracker to consider would be the BCT15X.

The 15X comes with a pc programming cable, and an excellent software program, FreeScan, can be downloaded. The cable is extra cost for the GRE & Radio Shack scanners, and software is also additional cost. However, any of these scanners will handle the analog system.

billwilliams

I own one pro 163 and two 164's (handheld version of the 163). if your area is not digital, or will not be going digital soon, it is a fine scanner...

bbedsole

Premium Subscriber
The Pro-163 (and Pro-164) are great for any location where you don't need P25 digital. Yes, the accessories like a programming cable ($30) and Win97 software ($30 after trial) will cost a little extra, but that just might make it about the same price as the Unidens.

Status
Not open for further replies.