Radio Shack PRO-164 help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

zenfor

Hi,

Total scanner newbie dummy here. All I want to do for now is to here my local police and fire and maybe surrounding towns. The manual is not for beginners and lacks basic help. I live in Bristol County Massachusetts and would appreciate any help or ideas. Thank you!

n2mdk

There is a lot of help online for programming your scanner, first is the Easier To Read Manual http://myweb.cableone.net/marksscanners/97/97.html second is the Programming Shortcuts http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Programming_Shortcut_Pro-97
The frequencies you want can be found in the database http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=1215

Another big help is letting your computer do most of the work using the Programming Cable, Win97 software and getting the Premium Subscription to this website.
Your immediate area is small so learning to program it in shouldn't be all that hard.

zenfor

Thanks but the easier to read manual is still not for a beginner and the shortcut page is the same. It mentions press trunk and I see no trunk. I'll bring it back to radio shack and if they can't help me, it goes back. Thanks!

N8IAA

Hi,

Total scanner newbie dummy here. All I want to do for now is to here my local police and fire and maybe surrounding towns. The manual is not for beginners and lacks basic help. I live in Bristol County Massachusetts and would appreciate any help or ideas. Thank you!

My suggestion is to download the Win97 software and get the 20-047 USB cable(available from your local Radio Shack). It will take the guess work out of programming. You will become a trunking wiz in no time. It makes it easier to program conventional channels as well. Alphatagging is a breeze. The manual is a nightmare to program from. I looked at mine last Saturday after getting the scanner home, and put it with my other manuals. Booted Win97 on the pc and had the radio up and running in less than 5 minutes. Have a 97, so it was just uploading to the scanner from a file already in place. Any more questions, and I'll be happy to try and answer them.
Larry

zenfor

OK, thanks again, I'll install it and get the cable. I assume it connects to a USB port?

Just so you know, my needs are very simple. All I want to do is turn it on and be able to listen to my local police and fire and maybe some surrounding towns. I would also like to know how to scan other areas like airport, CB, marine, etc. and then get back to listening to local police.

N8IAA

OK, thanks again, I'll install it and get the cable. I assume it connects to a USB port?

Just so you know, my needs are very simple. All I want to do is turn it on and be able to listen to my local police and fire and maybe some surrounding towns. I would also like to know how to scan other areas like airport, CB, marine, etc. and then get back to listening to local police.
Make sure that you use an external antenna, such as the RS mag mount, instead of the telescoping whip that comes with the radio. I have a metal file cabinet that has a couple of magmount antennas growing on the top:)
An external speaker makes for better listening also.
HTH,
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.