Radio Shack Pro-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sportster77

Premium Subscriber
Encryption perhaps?

Encryption would come across on the Pro-18 as a dial tone there is no setting in the software to get the scrambled audio, like on the psr800.
The garbled signals are either from a weak signal or simulcast distortions.

fredva

Feed Provider
You get a choice

Encryption would come across on the Pro-18 as a dial tone there is no setting in the software to get the scrambled audio, like on the psr800.
The garbled signals are either from a weak signal or simulcast distortions.

The options for encrypted signals on the PRO-18 are 1) Digital Noise, 2) Silence, or 3) Audio Tone.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Pro 18 garbled

An occasional garbled signal is often caused by a simulcast system.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Pro 18 garbled

I have the Pro 18 and the GRE PSR 800. With a few differences, they are the same radio and work equally well on my local simulcast system. I also have a Pro 106 that I bought the year it was introduced that still works well. GRE made some good radios, and hopefully Whistler will continue to provide us with reliable radios.

sterlingcat12001

Premium Subscriber
I have a PSR-600 excellent radio, the Pro 18 haven't had too much luck with it, I have a Pro 96 it works great, don't get me wrong the Pro 18 I have is good when it wants to work right, it's not the best I had. Maybe it's just weak signals I'm experiencing, I do sorta live in a dead area too maybe it don't agree with.

Sportster77

Premium Subscriber
Have you tried resetting the thresholds? I believe mine are set at 85 & 97.( I am notnear my computer with the software)

1BMG1

Got my PRO 18 a few weeks ago and experienced the same thing = garbled or choppy reception on some digital frequencies. Being a newbie to digital, my first thought was encrypted, but as explained above that is not how this radio reacts to encrypted frequencies.

Finally noticed that most of the choppy stuff was coming from more distant areas. Deleted the playlists then took the time to carefully reload only the closer police, chp, fire, ambulance, emergency stuff. That fixed the problem - now I am hearing what I want to hear, with very little choppiness. Happy now.

Sportster77

Premium Subscriber
The data decode threshold s can be reset under the Trunked Radio Tab. Pick the System you are listening to and then pick a site # and the thresholds will be enabled to be raised or lowered as wanted. Mine are actually @ 75 and 95 and applied to all sites. These settings have done away with most of the simulcast distortion on the Lake County (OH) system and even when I travel it works for the MARCS and MARCS-IP systems I pick up.

Status
Not open for further replies.