Radio Shack Pro-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ11DLN

The Pro-18 is a great little radio. Mine gets along just fine with the Safe-T system. The garbling I hear usually is associated with weak signals; you can check the signal strength meter when you hear something that sounds "underwater." A better antenna will improve this or just delete what you don't want to hear that is too distant. I'm relatively new to trunking and digital and at first I got tons of stuff I didn't have the least bit of interest in hearing on Safe-T, a lot of it distant, weak, and garbled; now that I've somewhat figured it out and connected a better antenna, I hear what I want to hear, very clearly. Best $200 I've spent in a long time.;)

Paco-Jerte

You Member, Member!
$200 where did u get yours at? I paid close to $600 with extra warranties..

They were on sale as low as $159.98 back in Sept/Oct at RS. Even lower with the $5 cellular upgrade check coupon.

I myself got 3 at $154.98 plus tax

And also a Pro-444 for $10.98 after coupon.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

DJ11DLN

$200 where did u get yours at? I paid close to $600 with extra warranties..

I got mine during Phase 1 of the Rat Shack GRE-made scanner fire sale. I could have saved $50 if I'd waited a couple of weeks but by then I could not locate ANY Pro-18's within 100 miles of here so it worked out for the best.:(

Sportster77

Premium Subscriber
For a while between GRE's closure and aaround Sept. of this year, the radios did kind of disappear, but the RS put the remaining stock on sale for $199 and then lowered them again to $159. After paying $420 for my GRE Psr800 and really liking it, I just could not pass up the deal ansd bought the Pro18 at the $200 point. And has become my daily radio while the 800 stays mounted in my work tuck.

DJ11DLN

I couldn't find mine here, I had to order online, it came from Missouri, I went to my local to add the warranty.

2 different Rat Shacks told me that wasn't possible with this type of sale, that you had to find them yourself and get them direct from whoever had them...and I couldn't find any more. I'd have bought another during the $158 sale if I could. That's what I get for believing people when they tell me stuff...

At least I found the one I ended up with. I understand why some people were down on this scanner when it was at full price, as it was a bit out of line considering you could buy a more capable PSR-800 for less, but I have nothing but good to say for mine and if I stumble across another one at a reasonable price I'll be grabbing it too.

fredva

Feed Provider
That's a good point about the antenna. The antenna that comes with the PRO-18 is pretty bad. I'm using a telescoping antenna from a PRO-197 that is hooked to an outdoor antenna. There is a world of difference in the performance between the PRO-18 stock antenna and the telescoping antenna.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.