Radio Shack Pro 197 Audio Problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeing that Radio Shack lowered the price of their digital scanners I decided to buy a new Pro 197 and I love it. But sometimes when a transmission comes through on a channel I can hear the person talking very quietly then the audio gets louder and more understandable. I searched through the forums and could not find anyone with the same problem If anyone could help me it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sometimes if the officers volume is down on their radio it will be hard to hear them. Usually dispatch will tell them that their volume is low. Other possibility is how close or far away their holding their mic from their mouth. If it's to close it sounds mumbled. If they hold their mic at a little further from their mouth they should come across more clear.

Yeah that's what I thought at first but now I think the real problem is,
"The PRO-106 and PRO-197 are configured to wait that long to decide whether a conventional signal is a digital or analog transmission, so the audio stays (mostly) muted during that decision time.

The workaround is to program the conventional channel for DCS SEARCH mode, and it will unsquelch as soon as the signal appears. This baffled me at first, but now it works the way I want.

And the squelch muting is not complete, I often hear the a whine from the digital decod"

But thanks for your reply

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Sometimes if the officers volume is down on their radio it will be hard to hear them. Usually dispatch will tell them that their volume is low.

The volume control on the officer's radio has no effect on the signal. It only adjust the volume on his speaker for reception.

04Z1V6

Have you tried turning on or off the Audio Gain Control to see if this helps you? In your scanner it is called AGC. Correct me if I am wrong but I think this only works for digital transmissions.

Thanks everyone for your replies the way I solved the problem is to take the squelch off search and set the ctcss the dcs and the nac which seems to solve the problem.
paintball4life

Status
Not open for further replies.