Radio Shack Pro 197

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBales

Can ANYONE please help me set up a pro 197.
I'm new to the world of digital scanning. I'm old school, puch in a freq and listen.
I've got the driver software, but software websites look like chinese arithmetic to me.

HELP

The next step is a balpene hammer and an expensive lesson learned

Tracy
kimtra78@fuse.net

puzzleriddle

Can ANYONE please help me set up a pro 197.
I'm new to the world of digital scanning. I'm old school, puch in a freq and listen.
I've got the driver software, but software websites look like chinese arithmetic to me.

HELP

The next step is a balpene hammer and an expensive lesson learned

Tracy
kimtra78@fuse.net

which website are speaking of?.. sounds like perhaps a problem with your PC??

K4IHS

Premium Subscriber
Buy some software like WIN500... go back to Radio Shack and buy the USB cable 20-047... then become a paid member of Radio Reference. Connect to RR and download the systems you want to hear. Not very much money and you'll save yourself a lot of headaches and be able to program your scanner quicker then you can say PRO197! :)

TBales

Thanx

Thanks to those of you who replied.
I decided that for a hobby that I'd mainly listen to at night. (scanner was in the bedroom)
It just wasn't worth all the hassles of software and memberships and all that.
I'll just remember the good ole' days when I could punch in my local fire and police freqs and hear
if there was a fire on the next block!

Tracy

K4IHS

Premium Subscriber
You have a computer... would you go back to a pen and paper?! :) It's not all that hard. Jump in with both feet. It will be worth it!

K4IHS

Premium Subscriber
There has to be somebody in Cinci with something like WIN500 software that can program your scanner with the proper file in about 20 secs. Have you tried asking in the Ohio forum? Offer to buy them lunch. :)

grumpy_hermit

I'll just remember the good ole' days when I could punch in my local fire and police freqs and hear if there was a fire on the next block!

What do you want to monitor? Are they running digital trunked systems or the old fashioned stuff? Conventional frequencies aren't difficult to enter.

Status
Not open for further replies.