Radio Shack Pro 2052

Status
Not open for further replies.

radiobuff0978

I purchased a Pro 2052 at a flea market that had no power cord. From the specs, it requires 12V DC 500ma. I have a multi adapter I can set to 12 V DC, it puts out 2100ma, which should be fine.

I also tried to get the case off, removing the 6 screws, but it is not easy to get it off. I want to look at the inside an make sure there are no obvious loose wires, etc.

It seems like it is glued together. Is there a trick, to getting the cover off?

Does anyone have a link to a service manual for this scanner Pro 2052?

I also need to know if there is any good programming software for this unit? I have used CHIRP, to program UHF / VHF hand held radios...

Thanks!

fredva

Feed Provider
When I had a PRO-2052, I used a flathead screwdriver to separate the main cover from the rest of the scanner because it didn't seem to want to budge otherwise. At least the first time I tried to open the case. My recollection is that this method worked; however, the screwdriver left some nicks in the plastic case.

I always programmed mine manually.

radiobuff0978

Thanks Mike,

Do you recall if you had to detach the front panel, first? Or did you separate the the top from the bottom panel with the screwdriver? Not concerned about marks...

fredva

Feed Provider
Thanks Mike,

Do you recall if you had to detach the front panel, first? Or did you separate the the top from the bottom panel with the screwdriver? Not concerned about marks...

I know I didn't detach the front panel. Instead, after removing the screws for the cover, I used the flat screwdriver to either push the cover back away from the front panel, or separate the top from the bottom, or both. You might try separating the top from the bottom first.

wtp

myself

i would not worry about loose wires.
unless it did not power up.
the best you could do is find a loose one,
the worst is you would break one.
fire it up and see what happens first.

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
Start by looking up the PRO-2052 in the wiki.

Pro-2052 - The RadioReference Wiki

Under the Supporting Software heading Radio Commander 2052 is still available as shareware. Although written for Windows 98, it appears to run on Windows 7 without problems. The other entries in Supporting Software are dead links.

Under the Related Pages heading there is a link to a note worth reading about PRO-2052 firmware changes. This will identify which version of the radio you have and the website also links to ScanControl software which will program the PRO-2052. Use the On-Line Store link on the left of the scannersoft.com pro-2052 firmware page to see the program options and prices.

If you want a service manual, one is available at the site mods.dk. It does not include a main board schematic but I can help with that if you really need it.

If the radio works normally, I wouldn't open it up because you may tear the speaker wires or cause other damage unnecessarily.

radiobuff0978

Got it working...needed actual power supply.

Going to pick up a FTDI cable so I can program it with software.

Reading through the online manual, the 2052 has the ability to scan and look for police and fire. Not sure exactly how to get it to search for active police and fire frequencies.

Is there a good online reference for police and fire frequencies...

Thanks to all who replied....

fredva

Feed Provider
Is there a good online reference for police and fire frequencies...

Do you want the specific frequencies known to be used in your area? Or are you talking about doing a general search to find something that might not be documented? If you want the known frequencies, just use the RadioReference online database. If you want to do your own searching, I believe the 2052 has a service search feature which will search all commonly used frequencies for a selected type of service (if I remember correctly).

radiobuff0978

No Police or Fire Frequencies

I did the search by Service SVC, for Fire and Police frequencies, and it is didn't find anything. Any ideas?

In the Radio Reference Database, I am not seeing any Police or Fire frequencies for my county???? Plenty of Public Works and Schools, etc...

Not being able to scan local police and fire makes the scanner pretty much useless..

Am I missing something?

Thanks!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I would ask this in the Indiana forum to be sure, but I'm willing to bet that your area is covered by the digital Safe-T system, which the 2052 can't handle. This requires a digital capable scanner (of which there are a great many), but are also much more expensive.

Mike

fredva

Feed Provider
Here is a direct link to the Indiania statewide system: https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=8084

Scroll down and see if you can find police and fire operations listed for your county. If so, you would not be able to pick those up with an analog scanner. The 2052 would be able to monitor aircraft, many railroads, NOAA weather broadcasts, and some other things.

radiobuff0978

Bummer!

Thank you for the info...That pretty much sucks! When I saw Trunking on the scanner, I thought it would support the latest protocols.

And there is probably no Mod available to add this capability. So it looks like I bought a $20 paperweight.

Dust collector for now...

Thanks again!

fredva

Feed Provider
Well, if you used a soldering iron to add a discriminator tap to the scanner, connected a cable to run the output of the discriminator tap to the input audio jack of a computer, and used the free DSDPlus software on the computer, you could listen to the digital radio traffic coming across the nearest SAFE-T tower(s). Using this method, you would listen to everyone using the tower(s); you couldn't pick and choose to monitor the local sheriff but not the DNR, etc. DSDPlus takes the raw digital noise received by the scanner and decodes it into audible voice.

radiobuff0978

Thanks Mike,

I have an SDR dongle that I believe with the correct software can do the same thing. I just wish the Pro 2052 was ready to go on the digital side...

Thanks!

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for the info...That pretty much sucks! When I saw Trunking on the scanner, I thought it would support the latest protocols.
And it probably did, at least when it came out around the turn of the century.
Keep in mind that some of these SAFE-T sites are simulcast and even a $500 scanner might not pick them up well. And if any of the agencies you want decide to use encryption, then no amount of money will let you hear them.

Have you looked to see if the sites you are looking for are on Broadcastify?
Illinois Live Audio Feeds

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
You can do what I did-load the 2052 up with aircraft, GMRS, Ham and CB frequencies. It will cover those better and faster than the dongle. That will leave the dongle free to do the digital systems in your area. There are also tons of stuff (business,wireless mics, and drive throughs) that will fill up the 'old useless' scanners.

Status
Not open for further replies.