Radio Shack Pro-30 Not Retaining Memory

SatHunter

A couple of weeks ago I purchased a Pro-30 scanner from a retired amateur radio operator. On the outside it looks mint, not a scratch or a bit of dust anywhere. I tried it out before I paid for it. It powers up with 6 AA batteries. I punched in the frequency for our local weather channel & it receives very well. When I turned it off and turned it back on the frequency (162.550 mhz) had disappeared. I know these radios have 3 button cells to keep your info when the scanner is turned off. The seller suggested that the batteries were dead. It took me forever to find 389/390 batteries locally but yesterday a bought a couple of packages at a jewelry store.
I opened to battery compartment and removed the old cells. Under them there was a green corrosion on the contacts which I cleaned up. I put in the 3 new 389 batteries, fired up the radio and entered 6 frequencies and let it scan. Everything performed as expected. When I turned the Pro-30 off & turned it back on the frequencies were all gone (all zeroes). I thought it put the button cells in the wrong way so I flipped them around. The radio still wouldn’t retain the memory. My old Pro-30 retains the memory even if you take the batteries out. I’m not sure what could be wrong. I’ve seen this happen out Radio Shack desktop scanners before but never got that problem solved either. Anyone ever experience this before & get it resolved?

SatHunter

RU55

Radio receiver
The manual says:

"Insert three back-up batteries (Catalog Number 23-101 or equivalent)
with flat - side toward bottom and push the reset switch (inside
battery compartment). Replace the back-up battery cover."

Did you push the reset switch?

SatHunter

The manual says:

"Insert three back-up batteries (Catalog Number 23-101 or equivalent)
with flat - side toward bottom and push the reset switch (inside
battery compartment). Replace the back-up battery cover."

Did you push the reset switch?
Yes I did several times. One time it locked up after the reset and the display was messed up. I turned the scanner off and turned it back on and the radio worked again but no memory. In the manual it looks the the + side of the battery is on the top so I wonder what they mean by flat side? Is it important that the batteries are silver oxide?
Mine are alkaline.
81EFA101-4E80-4A67-9BE7-3B950512BB25.jpeg

RU55

Radio receiver
The coin batteries have one side totally flat, and one side with a groove around it. I think they mean the side without the groove. Of course, the battery should be marked + and -

SatHunter

Note: this photo from the inside of the battery compartment. Still some traces of corrosion - I wonder if that could be causing a problem?
7FE3AF54-7A25-4A7B-8A2C-8D2EE23C237E.jpeg

RU55

Radio receiver
Yes, that corrosion doesn't look good! If the batteries were alkaline, vinegar works well for cleaning the terminals. I really dislike alkaline batteries! I use eneloops in everything that uses AAA, AA batteries, but sometimes you don't have a choice.

CycleSycho

;) I have taken care of corrosion quite a few times before. The key is to remove as much of the case/internals as possible without cutting wires (but I have cut before). Once the terminals are as isolated as possible (remember wires 'wick' anything liquid and if so, will also carry that corrosion with it), and use a water/baking soda mixture generally applied. Once down to about as bare a metal as you can, finish by a type of burnishing until shiny. You must have all the residue out of the area befroe closing up the device. Then, fresh batteries and check them dilligently (the radio you save may be your own). You never know when batteries leak (I know I have had em leak on me, and I check them a lot). Good luck, I hope you can save the hardware! ;)

RU55

Radio receiver
Baking soda does work well for as a mild abrasive for cleaning and polishing, but if the battery that is leaking is alkaline, vinegar (a mild acid) will neutralize the alkaline material. You might find both to be useful for cleaning off battery leakage corrosion.

CycleSycho

Baking soda does work well for as a mild abrasive for cleaning and polishing, but if the battery that is leaking is alkaline, vinegar (a mild acid) will neutralize the alkaline material. You might find both to be useful for cleaning off battery leakage corrosion.

:) Thanks for the added information! I am aware of those facts concerning alkaline batteries, but I am allergic to vinegar and the smell is repulsive. That said, I should have mentioned that in my post. Also, to clarify again, I didn't use the baking soda to polish or burnish the metal tabs, just to clean. I now know why they seemed brighter as well. Finally, I also didn't mention using a stiff bristle toothbrush that I use to get into as many nooks and crannies I can. So far (with added attention to those devices that did have a battery leak problem before), I have not had a recurrence of the damage to date. :)

SatHunter

I sent my pro 26 to this guy to get fixed. He is good. Works great now.

Thank you for the info! Do you remember if they charged a lot for the repair? If it would cost too much I would rather just invest in a new digital scanner like the Uniden BCD996P2. I'm not sure what went wrong. ☹ Could putting in the buttons cells upside down cause a problem in the circuitry? It's a dead duck! It seemed like it went DOA after changing the memory batteries a few times.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Think around $60 bucks. You can call him to see if you can set a limit, say $70 bucks, to fix it. If it’s more, trash it with no payment. Nice guy to deal with.

SatHunter

Miracle of miracle! After cleaning up the massive corrosion mess in the battery compartment & having the radio die right after that while punching in a frequency, I set the radio aside for a couple of days & thought I wrecked it somehow. After supper tonight I thought I'll try it one more time. I plugged it in with its 9V adapter and turned it on. Surprisingly the speaker was blasting out static! I put on an antenna, entered a working frequency and it was back from the dead! I'm still pretty sure that it's not retaining memory but this was a start anyway. Not putting any batteries near it, at least not tonight. Years back I had a radio I really loved, the Uniden MR8100 conk out.
I tried everything to get it to work again. Eventually I sent it back to Uniden in Texas for a $150 repair - that was a lot of money in those days. I paid over $400 for it originally so it was worth it to me. It's still a very unique radio.
I still use it till this very day!

A739789C-205F-4956-A1C8-4CE542C13234.jpeg

SatHunter

Note: this photo from the inside of the battery compartment. Still some traces of corrosion - I wonder if that could be causing a problem?
View attachment 129242
So back to the memory issue - do you think the LR1139 batteries should be "positive" + side up? It looks like it from this photo. I read that some of these 1980's era radios had a "super capacitor" to retain memory. I can confirm that there is some kind of on board memory from my original Pro-30 that I bought when I worked at Radio Shack back in the 80's. I take out the button cells, power it up and all of the stored frequencies are retained.5A2DA399-119F-4CFB-9BB8-C9F16DF98520.jpeg

CycleSycho

So back to the memory issue - do you think the LR1139 batteries should be "positive" + side up? It looks like it from this photo. I read that some of these 1980's era radios had a "super capacitor" to retain memory. I can confirm that there is some kind of on board memory from my original Pro-30 that I bought when I worked at Radio Shack back in the 80's. I take out the button cells, power it up and all of the stored frequencies are retained.View attachment 129439

:) YES, the + must be facing you when you put them in. each of the three side tabs that contact the + 'case' must also be clean as a connection could be. Don't know how they are wired inside but the three must be connected to both the circuit board tab (do not bend them up or you might short that one out) and individually each of those tabs on the side, to be sure they are connected. Good luck! :)

SatHunter

:) YES, the + must be facing you when you put them in. each of the three side tabs that contact the + 'case' must also be clean as a connection could be. Don't know how they are wired inside but the three must be connected to both the circuit board tab (do not bend them up or you might short that one out) and individually each of those tabs on the side, to be sure they are connected. Good luck! :)

Thank you again for your assistance! The Pro-30 is such a great old radio and I'd hate to do anything to damage it. I took the back off of the radio and everything looks fine. I can't find a way to get beneath the plastic under the battery compartment to check for any additional corrosion. The radio looked like it was brand new when I bought it so I was surprised to find the green coating on the battery contacts. I never knew that watch batteries could leak. The AA battery holder definitely never had a leak, it looks pristine. If I can't fix it I might just have to have it powered up all the time! 😏