Radio Shack Pro-528 to AL-500H? Noob in need of help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AaronJB

Here's my problem and I'm wondering if anyone here can help me out.

I currently own a Radio Shack Pro-528 and use it mostly for listening to air bands. I recently picked up a Maldol AL-500H antenna for use with my Pro-528 but because I don't know much about connections, I don't know how to get the antenna to connect to the Pro-528. I do know that both connection types are BNC so I just assumed they would work with each other. When looking at both ends, its obvious that they will not connect directly without some sort of adapter or modification. The jack that surrounds the male connector on the radio gets into the way when I attempt to connect the antenna.

Any help would be much appreciated since most of this is new to me.

Thanks

KC0QNB

I looked at the PRO-528 on the rat shack site, looks like a standard bnc connector to me, I guess I don't see your issue, does the rubber antenna plug look like the cable end?

AaronJB

Well if I did my research correctly, the connector on the radio is a jack and the connector on the antenna is a plug? If that is the case, the AL-500 does not have a plug on it, but it does appear to be BNC.

A plug is what you twist and lock into place correct?

KC0QNB

Yeah, I came back to reread your post, I can't find a good picture of the antenna base to ID it, does the bottom of the antenna look like the jack on the radio?, You have me bugged about this one. pm me

AaronJB

I took some quick pictures that should better explain my situation.

Attachments

• radio.jpg
    radio.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 602
  • antenna.jpg
    antenna.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 832
  • antenna2.JPG
    antenna2.JPG
    160.8 KB · Views: 530
  • antenna3.JPG
    antenna3.JPG
    185 KB · Views: 799

wkm

Looks to be SMA type connection maybe F style on the antenna. RS should have that adaptor in either flavor.

AaronJB

Hmm, thats weird. The AL-500 "H" claims to terminate to a male BNC plug and this is a "H" model. The AL-500 "HS" claims to terminate to an SMA plug.

wkm

Looks like you have the HS which is SMA. It is threaded right?

AaronJB

So since my antenna is labeled as a AL-500H, you think they mislabeled it as a AL-500H instead of a AL-500HS?

wkm

It had to have been mislabled because BNC connectors are not threaded. And actually I don't think RS carries bnc to sma adaptors. I think I saw bnc to tnc last week when I was buying a bnc adaptor.

AaronJB

So I sent the company I ordered from, Universal Radio, an e-mail explaining what happened and they are nice enough to send me the correct BNC antenna for free in exchange for the incorrect antenna. Great service.

Status
Not open for further replies.