Radio Shack Pro 528 Trouble with ATC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenny32

Hey everyone

I just got a Radio Shack Pro 528 and headed up to Bradley International Airport (Windsor Locks, CT; Serves Southern New England)...

The Tower frequency is 120.30. No matter what I tried I couldn't get any transmissions on the scanner. I tried programming 120.3000 on Channel 1. I tried going to the "air" option and tuning to 120.3000...

Nothing worked. I'm also positive it's 120.30 because there was another spotter/photographer who had a scanner and that frequency was working.

Thanks in Advance for any help.

N1BHH

When you enter an aircraft band frequency it automatically selects AM as that is the correct mode for aircraft frequencies. There is no attenuator, so that's not the problem. The air option? That must be the aircraft band search. I think you need to try putting in some of these frequencies to try out: http://www.airnav.com/airport/KBDL

You can't put in any of the UHF frequencies, because your radio doesn't have the capability, just try the VHF frequencies and see what happens. Try some of these VHF frequencies out too: http://microvoltradio.com/ARTCC/KZBW.htm

These are active too, you should at least hear aircraft within about 50 miles without any trouble. You might also try a telescoping antenna. I sometimes use one for aircraft listening.

Kenny32

OK...

So I see that the Tower Frequency was 120.3...but next to it theres 351.8...Is the 351.8 the one I can't connect to?

That other site just confused me...I don't see a location that's near my location(I'm about 30 miles from Bradley Intl)...I tried 133.625 but nothing yet...Is there a particular one I should try to listen in to try to get some Air Traffic?

I also have 120.3 programmed into this bank, so if I am close enough I SHOULD in theory be able to get something...

trainman111

Premium Subscriber
Just keep in mind a lot of sites on the web are not up-to-date. For example, the microvoltradio.com website is extremely outdated in regards to Washington Center.

N1BHH

Kenny32 said:
OK...

So I see that the Tower Frequency was 120.3...but next to it theres 351.8...Is the 351.8 the one I can't connect to?

That other site just confused me...I don't see a location that's near my location(I'm about 30 miles from Bradley Intl)...I tried 133.625 but nothing yet...Is there a particular one I should try to listen in to try to get some Air Traffic?

I also have 120.3 programmed into this bank, so if I am close enough I SHOULD in theory be able to get something...

You don't need to look for a location near you, just put in any of the VHF frequencies listed on that link and you should hear some activity. Put a whole bunch in and try them all, let it scan, sometimes it's very quiet on some routes, but others may be very busy. You'll only hear ground based stations near you, but aircraft out 50 miles or more. Here's another list: http://www.milaircomms.com/artcc_zbw.html

I have all of those VHF frequencies in my scanner and not all of them talk all the time, they do eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.