Radio Shack Pro-651 Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyKnowles

Hello all -

I have just purchased the RS Pro-651 hand held scanner. I also bought the RS Programming Cable with Demo Software (#20-546) at the same time.

Question #1: The instructions for installing the driver for the programming cable tell me to look for the directory "\Win7_Vista_XP_2000\" on the CD ROM. There is NO directory on the CD ROM by this or any other name. I am further told to look for the file "CDM20600" or "CDM20600.exe" in the directory. No file with any name starting with CDM or containing the number 20600 exists on the CD ROM either.

How do I install the driver for the programming cable? I called the RS 800 # and they told me to go to a store to get technical help. I've been to 3 stores so far and no one has any idea.

Question #2: If I press the SRCH button on the scanner and go to either a Marine Radio search or a GMRS/FRS/MURS search the F2 soft key displays "all". Pressing this button changes the display to "ALL" but I can't seem to see any difference. No one at any RS store has been able to answer this yet, either.

Anyone familiar with this from the Pro-651 or prior model (Pro-109?)? Any help would be appreciated.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Can't help with question #2, but on #1 I ran into that problem. You can install the software by running setup.exe and it should install the drivers. Option #2 is open the data1.cab file using winzip or another similar program and you'll see the driver file in there that can be extracted. Good luck to you!

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Question #2 Easier to Read Pro-106/197/PSR500/600 Digital Scanner Manual channels
Marine, CB, or FRS/GRMS/MURS Search Contents
The CB, Marine, and FRS/GMRS/MURS bands are actually frequencies pre-programmed into special channels. You are not searching from a lower frequency to a higher frequency. There are 40 CB channels, 60 Marine channels, and 34 FRS/GMRS/MURS channels. Programming your CB, Marine, or FRS/GMRS/MURS search as an object gives you more options for the search (delay time, LED mode/color/latch, alarm, etc.). You could then use the search in Manual mode. This will also allow you to program and search more than one service search at a time by assigning them to one (or more) of the 22 Scan Lists.

To Start a Dedicated CB, Marine, or FRS/GMRS/MURS Search press SRCH until Srch CB, Marine, or F/G/MURS appears on the top line.
To change direction or resume searching press or .
To pause on a channel press PSE.
To view all channels press F2 until (ALL-[uppercase]) appears.
To view just unlocked channels press F2 until (all-[lowercase]) appears.
To lockout a channel press F1 (FrL/O).
To unlock a channel press F2 until (ALL)(uppercase) appears. Press or to locate the locked out channel ('L' in front of channel) and press L/OUT to unlock.
To store a channel into the Default Scan List press F3 (Stor).
To toggle the search delay on or off press FUNC then . (DELAY).
To toggle attenuation for the search on or off press ATT.

CB Search With
Locked Out Channels Invisible
CB Search With
All Channels Visible

N8IAA

Hello all -

I have just purchased the RS Pro-651 hand held scanner. I also bought the RS Programming Cable with Demo Software (#20-546) at the same time.

Question #1: The instructions for installing the driver for the programming cable tell me to look for the directory "\Win7_Vista_XP_2000\" on the CD ROM. There is NO directory on the CD ROM by this or any other name. I am further told to look for the file "CDM20600" or "CDM20600.exe" in the directory. No file with any name starting with CDM or containing the number 20600 exists on the CD ROM either.

How do I install the driver for the programming cable? I called the RS 800 # and they told me to go to a store to get technical help. I've been to 3 stores so far and no one has any idea.

Question #2: If I press the SRCH button on the scanner and go to either a Marine Radio search or a GMRS/FRS/MURS search the F2 soft key displays "all". Pressing this button changes the display to "ALL" but I can't seem to see any difference. No one at any RS store has been able to answer this yet, either.

Anyone familiar with this from the Pro-651 or prior model (Pro-109?)? Any help would be appreciated.

Running Win7? The cable driver will be found by the OS. I have the 106 and 197. No problems.
Plug the cable into the scanner, turn it on, plug the cable into a USB port. Let windows find it for you.
Larry

RandyKnowles

Thanks everyone for your prompt and helpful replies!!! I now have the driver installed. :))

As far as locked and unlocked channels and the all-->ALL soft key, do you mean locked out channels?

Thanks again!!!

RandyKnowles

If I may, Question #3: All the software which downloaded from my RS CD ROM was for older model RS Scanners. It's supposed to be a 1 week trial version, and I am supposed to be able to open the software manual via the Help Menu.

In order to get the newer ARC500 software for my Pro-651, I had to go to the Butel site and download. However this version does not allow me to open the software manual in the Help menu. Any suggestions?

Thanks all for your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.