Radio shack pro-651

Status
Not open for further replies.

1woodmonger

Premium Subscriber
when I turn on my scanner, THE RADIOSCHACK PRO- 651 , all I get is :

" up BootVer:RF1.5 uP App Ver: NONE CP U SW Upgrade Wait for PC/ IF ".

Because it is my understanding there is no firm ware updates for the pro 651, what do i do ?

Arkmood

when I turn on my scanner, THE RADIOSCHACK PRO- 651 , all I get is :

" up BootVer:RF1.5 uP App Ver: NONE CP U SW Upgrade Wait for PC/ IF ".

Because it is my understanding there is no firm ware updates for the pro 651, what do i do ?

Not much of a solution to your problem... However - a couple aspects of the reply may be of interest to RR readers.

Same thing happened to my Pro 651, and I made NO attempt whatsoever in trying to update/upgrade my Radio Shack Pro 651 firmware . For a couple weeks it was working fine, next power up received the same display message quoted above.

Needless to say I'm extremely leery about purchasing a replacement 651. Really A shame because the scanner (opinion) had great sensitivity/selectivity/features/etc./etc. ...

Was lucky enough to get a free/full refund - AND THE warranty was way over the RETURN date. GREAT COMPANY to deal with - BLINQ.COM

Good luck with your outcome...

Last edited:

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Great news (not). I just ordered a PRO-651 yesterday from Amazon, figuring I mind as well get one of the last RS scanners into my collection. But seeing there maybe no solution to what ordinarily would probably not be a major problem, if the company were still going to be in business, doesn't sound good.
I figure would get some use out of the 651, but when I hear being bricked with no solution so quickly, I think it will go back as soon as it arrives. I have enough scanners at it is.

Arkmood

But seeing there maybe no solution to what ordinarily would probably not be a major problem, if the company were still going to be in business, doesn't sound good.

My first thought was to try RS support/assistance by email, and explained my 651 problem in detail. Pointed out I'd been a loyal customer since the 70s (true). They never replied back.

Nonetheless, I'm fairly certain I did hear something about Radio Shack referring frustrated 651 customers to Radio Reference.com for support concerning "bricked" Radio Shack scanners.

1woodmonger

Premium Subscriber
Thank you all for your responses , I'm just sending it back, and going to get a refund. any thoughts of a well working 3 trunked scanner other than Radio Shack that has changing capabilities ?

Blackswan73

Don't throw out the baby with the bath. I have an excellent 651 and a 652 which is the same radio in a mobile configuration. Also there is the superb 668, which appears to be pretty much unbrickable, and does phase 2 as well. Then there is the Whistler WS1080, basically the 668 with a few extra bells and whistles. And you have the just released Whistler 1095, another mobile with a removeable faceplate and similar capabilities as the 1080. Uniden has a few new releases as well, including several phase 2 capable radios. A lot of folks like the 996xt, which has similar capabilities as your 651.

R

retiredmich

Try resetting back to Manufactory Default, & reprograming it again.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Don't throw out the baby with the bath. I have an excellent 651 and a 652 which is the same radio in a mobile configuration. Also there is the superb 668, which appears to be pretty much unbrickable, and does phase 2 as well. Then there is the Whistler WS1080, basically the 668 with a few extra bells and whistles. And you have the just released Whistler 1095, another mobile with a removeable faceplate and similar capabilities as the 1080. Uniden has a few new releases as well, including several phase 2 capable radios. A lot of folks like the 996xt, which has similar capabilities as your 651.

Muskrat
You are right. In fact along with the 651, I also ordered the 652 and 668 yesterday. At the prices Amazon is selling these for, could not pass them up. I realize they also are essentially the same as my 106, 197, and 1080, but I figure this is the last hurrah for Radio Shack, and I will probably kick myself if I don't add these to my collection.
Guess I have been around too long in amateur radio/scanning (53 years) to let a problem like a potential brick deter me. Your analogy of not throwing out the baby with the bath is especially fitting in this context. Thanks for your post.
All new scanners are due in the next couple of days. I told my wife I'm buying them for her. She just laughs. Probably why we have been married for almost 40 years.

TxScanner

Premium Subscriber
I've bought 2 new RS scanners on ebay over the past couple of months, first a 651, and most recently a 652, both have worked great. Hopefully they continue to do so.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 via Tapatalk

FallenAnjel

I have a Pro 651 I bought off Ebay last week, I programmed it with ARC500 and a RR subscription to download frequencies and It works great. The downloading of frequencies pretty much tweeks all the settings for you save for locking out unwanted freqs'. There's a lot of settings in arc500 I have to figure out, but everything is working great.

Status
Not open for further replies.