Radio Shack PRO 651 ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tracker44

Hello, I am useing a Radio Shack PRO 651 Scanner . I program it with ARC 500 software, which this combination seems to work quite well.
My question is in the software under Trunked Systems there is a Tab that says ( Multi-Site).
When you click on it a menu of 3 settings will drop down.
They are :
OFF
ROAM
STATIONARY
Which one of these settings should be used ????
I have been just clicking on OFF. Why, I really dont know why. I dont really dont know what this function does or how it should be used ????
TNX

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
Utah Radio has a pretty good outline for WIN500.

I would suggest you try the following:

A single site system - OFF

A multi-site system, if you are out and about with a handheld - ROAM

A multi-site system if you are programming a base radio at a fixed location - STATIONARY

(Remember WIN500 is not ONLY for the 651)

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
OFF tends to make the scanner stay on the control channel until it stops being recognized as a control channel.

ROAM checks the quality of the control channel decode as a percentage and determines which control channel (and site) it should monitor. The idea with this is that the voice channel of that site will decode at roughly the same as the control channel. There is a "Hi" and "Lo" setting that applies to this mode. If the control channel drops below the "Lo" percentage, it will search for a control channel for a site that has a better decode than the "Hi" setting.

STATIONARY checks all the control channels that it can receive. The idea with this is that not all sites for a system carry the same talkgroups, so you search for it on all the sites you can monitor. The "Check All CC" setting applies to this mode. Setting this to "Yes" will check all the control channels every time it checks the system, which can take extra time. Setting this to "No" will check a single different control channel every time it checks the system.

I tend to use the settings as the name and the previous reply suggests. My handheld scanner switches between ROAM and STATIONARY depending on what I am doing.

Tracker44

TNX so much for the information.
I am useing the ARC 500 software to program the scanner with. Its the only scanner and software I have ever used so I really dont have any thing to compare it with. But as I mentioned it seems to work well. Theres still alot about it I dont understand. The soft ware will do more than I will ever use it for..
I an old fellow and I never take the scanner mobil so I guess that would rule out the (ROME) setting.
I just keep it close to me at home and turn it on ever so often to listen to what ever it will pick up.
So I guess (OFF) or (SATIONARY) will be the setting , I guess OFF for now, unless you recommend (STATIONARY).
I dont use any out side antenna, just the 800 Mhz after market antenna from Radio Shack.
TNX again for the information , I printed it out to keep.

Tracker44

On second thought , maybe (Stationary) would be better for my kind of use.
I noticed my (Check All CC) is set to (NO) ,
Do I need to chamge that to I guess (YES)

Tracker44

Something else I noticed is my (Threshold High) is set at 95 and my (Threshold Low is 75).
I didnt set it on that . Those settings are just what showed up there.
Are those OK ????

Status
Not open for further replies.