Radio Shack Pro 668 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

estle4

I am having trouble with my Scanner I am only picking up police what do I have to do to get Fire Ambulance etc. I live in scooting county Portsmouth ohio

Last edited by a moderator:

wbowery

Premium Subscriber
Did you program it using the Radio Shack software and USB cable? It looks like you will need to have Ohio MARCS as well as the Scioto County VHF and UHF frequencies set up as scanlists in the 668.

By default, a bunch of somewhat generic scanlists are active. They are WAY down there around scanlist 150 or so. You are likely better off setting up your own scanlists in the software and turning those other ones off.

Unfortunately, the software is not the most intuitive and has a learning curve.

DJ11DLN

Mine was pretty deaf until I got the legacy upgrade. I agree with @wbowery that you likely have a programming issue but the original, never updated firmware for that radio was pretty awful. The upgrade was some of the best money I've spent on a scanner, before that it made a pretty good paperweight and that's about all. No, I don't work for Whistler or get any kickbacks or anything like that.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I would program the conventional frequencies for Scioto Co and try the MARCS system using the Portsmouth site only. If you have all 8 sites active, you will probably miss a lot of your local activity. Ohio State Highway Patrol Portsmouth dispatch is also on the MARCS system.

Last edited:

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Get the upgrade and download the programming software from Whistler. The combination made my Pro-18 a better scanner and it does a good job on the local simulcast system.

estle4

Did you program it using the Radio Shack software and USB cable? It looks like you will need to have Ohio MARCS as well as the Scioto County VHF and UHF frequencies set up as scanlists in the 668.

By default, a bunch of somewhat generic scanlists are active. They are WAY down there around scanlist 150 or so. You are likely better off setting up your own scanlists in the software and turning those other ones off.

Unfortunately, the software is not the most intuitive and has a learning curve.
No when I bought it They only gave me the Scanner there was no software with it how do I get the Ohio MARCS as well as the Scioto County VHF and UHF frequencies set up as scanlists

wbowery

Premium Subscriber
No when I bought it They only gave me the Scanner there was no software with it how do I get the Ohio MARCS as well as the Scioto County VHF and UHF frequencies set up as scanlists

You need the PRO-668 USB cable, a Windows computer, and free iScan software from Radio Shack. I think the software was on the SD card in the radio when I got mine, and can be installed from there. I don't know how well iScan runs on Windows 10, but it runs fine on Windows 7.

Here is a link to some info that might be helpful: IScan Installation and Tips - The RadioReference Wiki

You can use the iScan software to set up scanlists for your area. You will need at least two scanlists - one VHF/UHF and one for MARCS. After you get the hang of the software, you can build customized scanlists to suit your listening.

I have never had issues, but I have seen posted in several forums that it is not a good idea to mix trunked systems and conventional frequencies in the same scanlist.

I sent my PRO-668 in to Whistler for the upgrade for DMR capability. It essentially turns the 668 into a Whistler WS-1080, and you can use Whistler's EZ Scan software. It was $60 for the upgrade I think.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
You need the PRO-668 USB cable, a Windows computer, and free iScan software from Radio Shack. I think the software was on the SD card in the radio when I got mine, and can be installed from there. I don't know how well iScan runs on Windows 10, but it runs fine on Windows 7.

Here is a link to some info that might be helpful: IScan Installation and Tips - The RadioReference Wiki

You can use the iScan software to set up scanlists for your area. You will need at least two scanlists - one VHF/UHF and one for MARCS. After you get the hang of the software, you can build customized scanlists to suit your listening.

I have never had issues, but I have seen posted in several forums that it is not a good idea to mix trunked systems and conventional frequencies in the same scanlist.

I sent my PRO-668 in to Whistler for the upgrade for DMR capability. It essentially turns the 668 into a Whistler WS-1080, and you can use Whistler's EZ Scan software. It was $60 for the upgrade I think.

There's also a link to the software at: Pro-668 - The RadioReference Wiki

Since in Scioto County some of your local agencies use MARCS, I recommend setting each MARCS tower site within your monitoring range up as a separate system in the radio. Earlier RS/GRE scanners like the Pro-106/197 allow you to monitor multiple tower sites in a single system, but the 668 and other later RS/GRE/Whistler scanners of it's ilk grab the first control channel found and stay there, which means you could be missing traffic that's happening on other tower sites. Having each site as a separate system is a workaround for that issue; you can still have the scan lists for those systems use the same scan list number, though.

I'll second the motion for upgrading the 668 to a "Pro-1080" through Whistler. Adds DMR capability and as far as I'm concerned the P25 reception is quite a bit better. For $60 it's a major improvement. However, once the upgrade is done you can no longer use the Pro-668 software; you have to use the WS-1080 software, although the two are identical from a user standpoint.

Last edited:

estle4

There's also a link to the software at: Pro-668 - The RadioReference Wiki

Since in Scioto County some of your local agencies use MARCS, I recommend setting each MARCS tower site within your monitoring range up as a separate system in the radio. Earlier RS/GRE scanners like the Pro-106/197 allow you to monitor multiple tower sites in a single system, but the 668 and other later RS/GRE/Whistler scanners of it's ilk grab the first control channel found and stay there, which means you could be missing traffic that's happening on other tower sites. Having each site as a separate system is a workaround for that issue; you can still have the scan lists for those systems use the same scan list number, though.

I'll second the motion for upgrading the 668 to a "Pro-1080" through Whistler. Adds DMR capability and as far as I'm concerned the P25 reception is quite a bit better. For $60 it's a major improvement. However, once the upgrade is done you can no longer use the Pro-668 software; you have to use the WS-1080 software, although the two are identical from a user standpoint.
Ok Thank you so much

estle4

Ok Thank you so much

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Ok Thank you so much

Also, any USB-A to Mini-B cable will work, but I recommend using this one from Monoprice:

The power wires inside are 24 gauge and will handle more current than a standard USB-A to Mini-B cable, so better for charging and scanning at the same time. At $1.79 for the 6-foot version or $1.37 for the 3-foot version it's also a lot cheaper than something you might buy at a computer store or Wally World; you could even go nuts and buy the 15-foot version for a whopping $2.50!

estle4

Also, any USB-A to Mini-B cable will work, but I recommend using this one from Monoprice:

The power wires inside are 24 gauge and will handle more current than a standard USB-A to Mini-B cable, so better for charging and scanning at the same time. At $1.79 for the 6-foot version or $1.37 for the 3-foot version it's also a lot cheaper than something you might buy at a computer store or Wally World; you could even go nuts and buy the 15-foot version for a whopping $2.50!
Thank you I appreciate it.

estle4

I have tried everything but only getting Pd my Friend messed with the setting and I am not sure what the settings are suppose to be I have to manually program it and I don’t really know how. Any help would really be appreciated Thanks in advance

jonsmth

I have tried everything but only getting Pd my Friend messed with the setting and I am not sure what the settings are suppose to be I have to manually program it and I don’t really know how. Any help would really be appreciated Thanks in advance

I can understand your frustration with this scanner, especially if you've never used a scanner that utilizes computer software to assist in programming. I bought a PRO-668 several years ago when Radio Shack was going bankrupt. The PRO-668, to my understanding is a "GRE" made scanner. At some point, GRE was bought by "Whistler". Whistler took up support for R/S PRO-668 scanners when Radio Shack finally went bust. What you should really consider is sending your scanner to Whistler and have them convert it into a WS-1080. This way you can use the Whistler software to program and update your scanner. There are many posts on this forum that direct you how to do that. You can also visit Whistler's website which will give you links to complete that task. I've had my PRO-668 for about 4 or 5 years and have NEVER tried to program it manually. I've always used the software on my computer to program it. You set the software up on your computer just as you want it to be in your scanner then copy the configuration either directly to the scanner with a USB-mini to USB cable, or a better solution if your computer is configured for it, is to remove the Micro-SD card from the scanner and plug it directly into the computer. (Much faster downloads than using the cable directly connected to the scanner). Another benefit to the converting the scanner is that the Whistler Software will provide continual updates of the frequency, software and firmware databases for the scanner. Once your scanner is converted and your scanner is returned as a WS-1080, Whistler provides steps on how to download the software and to configure your newly converted scanner to use the Whistler software.

I'm sorry I can't help you with programming the scanner manually perhaps there are a few on this website that are proficient at such operations.

estle4

I can understand your frustration with this scanner, especially if you've never used a scanner that utilizes computer software to assist in programming. I bought a PRO-668 several years ago when Radio Shack was going bankrupt. The PRO-668, to my understanding is a "GRE" made scanner. At some point, GRE was bought by "Whistler". Whistler took up support for R/S PRO-668 scanners when Radio Shack finally went bust. What you should really consider is sending your scanner to Whistler and have them convert it into a WS-1080. This way you can use the Whistler software to program and update your scanner. There are many posts on this forum that direct you how to do that. You can also visit Whistler's website which will give you links to complete that task. I've had my PRO-668 for about 4 or 5 years and have NEVER tried to program it manually. I've always used the software on my computer to program it. You set the software up on your computer just as you want it to be in your scanner then copy the configuration either directly to the scanner with a USB-mini to USB cable, or a better solution if your computer is configured for it, is to remove the Micro-SD card from the scanner and plug it directly into the computer. (Much faster downloads than using the cable directly connected to the scanner). Another benefit to the converting the scanner is that the Whistler Software will provide continual updates of the frequency, software and firmware databases for the scanner. Once your scanner is converted and your scanner is returned as a WS-1080, Whistler provides steps on how to download the software and to configure your newly converted scanner to use the Whistler software.

I'm sorry I can't help you with programming the scanner manually perhaps there are a few on this website that are proficient at such operations.
Thank you for your help I appreciate it

tvengr

Well Known Member
Here is the link to the Pro-668 programming software: PRO668.exe I have completed a programming file for Scioto Co. Save the file to your computer. In the Pro-668 software, go to the File tab and Restore from Archive. Open the Scioto Co OH file. Click Yes at the Overwrite Warning box. The file will load into the software. Connect the scanner to your computer. The scanner should be turned off. Go to the Scanner/SD Card tab and Copy Configuration to Scanner Memory/SD Card. Click Yes at the Overwrite Warning box. Click Continue if it shows a SD Card drive. Sit back and relax. The Programming will take a while. The Scioto Co Conventional system is on scan list 1. The MARCS trunked system Portsmouth site is on scan list 2. The remaining 7 MARCS system sites for Scioto Co are on scan lists 3 thru 9.

Attachments

• Scioto Co OH.zip
    452.8 KB · Views: 4

estle4

Here is the link to the Pro-668 programming software: PRO668.exe I have completed a programming file for Scioto Co. Save the file to your computer. In the Pro-668 software, go to the File tab and Restore from Archive. Open the Scioto Co OH file. Click Yes at the Overwrite Warning box. The file will load into the software. Connect the scanner to your computer. The scanner should be turned off. Go to the Scanner/SD Card tab and Copy Configuration to Scanner Memory/SD Card. Click Yes at the Overwrite Warning box. Click Continue if it shows a SD Card drive. Sit back and relax. The Programming will take a while. The Scioto Co Conventional system is on scan list 1. The MARCS trunked system Portsmouth site is on scan list 2. The remaining 7 MARCS system sites for Scioto Co are on scan lists 3 thru 9.
Thank You so much I finally got it your a life saver

estle4

Sorry to bother you again but does that also pick up NEW Boston Ohio PD and Shawnee Security

tvengr

Well Known Member
It already had New Boston PD. I assume you are talking about Shawnee State University Security. I just added that to the conventional frequencies. Use this updated file:

Attachments

• Scioto Co OH.zip
    452.9 KB · Views: 20
Status
Not open for further replies.