Pro-668: Radio Shack PRO 668 Woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC5CSG

The Awesome Blue Waffle 825
I've owned a Radio Shack Pro-668 for about a year now. For that entire year interfacing either of my two computers to the thing has been flaky at best. There is indeed a driver issue with this unit that makes interfacing with this scanner pure hell until you follow the procedures to allow the computer with the newer OS versions to install an unsigned driver. What is not being made clear in some other threads is what to look for in your device manager. The scanner will show up in the drives area and the COM port area. The COM port is where you need to install this driver once you do the whole shift-restart yadda yadda thing.

Once I figured that out my scanner and computer are singing better together than the Captain and Tennille. Here's my beef with this whole situation though. I don't know who originally made the scanner but it appears every company that supports this device (with their name stamped to it of course) does not like to make their software easily obtainable. Especially Radio Shack. They all seem to have their own version of the software and driver. NONE OF THEM ARE FRIGGING SIGNED BY MICROSOFT!!!

Call me silly but if I was going to design a scanner, build it, sell it for darned near $400, make it heavily dependent on software, driver and database upgrades you would think I would take the time and invest the little bit of money to SEND MY FRIGGING USB DRIVER TO MICROSOFT AND HAVE THE DARNED THING SIGNED!!! And then, I'm approaching lunacy now, I'd put the software and driver on a website where people can download the darned thing in case they didn't read it's jammed on the SD card so you better not lose it. Then I would make sure my "Optimize SD Card" function in the software didn't delete the two most important files that are on the SD card. That is how I lost mine. That should not fly with a $400 piece of equipment.

So, I wrote Radio Shack and they were gracious enough to send me both the Interface Software (the latest version) and the USB driver. I never got an answer as to why they didn't offer it in their Downloads Archive. So if you need the Software and/or USB Driver email me and I'll email it to you. I'll consider this one of my charitable acts this year.

materne42@gmail.com

de KC5CSG

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
That software is in the files section of the PRO-668 facebook group and has been for some time now. EVERY file that was originally on the micro sd card from RS is in the file labeled pro668.zip in that group.

KC5CSG

Okay thanks for the info. The rest of what I said still applies. Someone is falling short in a lot of companies not getting this driver signed. Or maybe they can't get the driver signed and it presents a security risk and we're just not being told. Point being, I shouldn't have to lower the security measures on my computer to run a program for a scanner that is supposedly from a reputable company. Don't even get me started on the POS plastic face that scratches if you sneeze to near it. That would be acceptable if they'd get the driver signed.

KC5CSG

Great question samcken. Call this a novel idea but I think you SHOULD be able to find the software and drivers at the MANUFACTURER WEBSITES. The only place to find this SHOULD NOT BE a facebook page of all places. You couldn't pay me enough to download anything off of facebook unless I'm on a computer I could isolate off of my network instantly and on a computer I don't care about.

KC5CSG

Hello. What is the best scanner antenna for PRO 668 according to your best experience? thanks de xe2kaf

Don't get me to lying. Personally I think the antenna that comes with the scanner works just fine. I live in the city and I'm obviously near one of the towers and since most of everything I hear is off of a trunked system I believe it may all be coming off of the one tower.

For conventional frequencies any large base antenna would work fine if you're far away from the action. Just keep in mind no antenna is great on all bands. They're mediocre on all bands at best. Bandwidth is gained at at the sacrifice of gain and vice versa.

Good luck

kc5csg

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
KC5CSG - consider yourself fortunate that you even got a response from RS, as, I'm sure you've read, they're in the process of folding their tent for the second time. Be sure to back up what you were sent, because it's not likely you'll be able to get that again, except off the Facebook page (or possibly a Yahoo group).

Mike

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Hello. What is the best scanner antenna for PRO 668 according to your best experience? thanks de xe2kaf

Best antenna for me and it has also worked for many is the Radio Shack or Remtronix 800mhz (21.99 at universal radio) that whistler now sells for $39.99 with their branding on it. I also hear there is a KENMAX brand 400-470mhz . I hear does as good or better then the Remtronics and it is only $10.99 from Amazon free shipping if you have PRIME.

xe2kaf

Playa del Carmen, Quintana Roo State, México.
Thank u very much for ur info not only ks5csg so also great to say hi to Wackyracer again (Wackyracer any news of PRO668 upgrade firmware? I was follow ur activity on that gud theme) in the other hand I'll take acount the use of that antennas. I have been hearing abt the gud job of Diamond RH77CA as preferred of scanners for his high gain. Thanks de xe2kaf (Jesús)

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Thank u very much for ur info not only ks5csg so also great to say hi to Wackyracer again (Wackyracer any news of PRO668 upgrade firmware? I was follow ur activity on that gud theme) in the other hand I'll take acount the use of that antennas. I have been hearing abt the gud job of Diamond RH77CA as preferred of scanners for his high gain. Thanks de xe2kaf (Jesús)

A unofficial Firmware upgrade to make it a ws1080 with firmware ver 3.8, 4.5 or 4.6 has been out for some time now. Go to the Pro-668 firmware thread for detailed instructions and download links. Start at pg 44 for current 4.6 stuff.

You will never see another official upgrade from Radio Shack....this is as good as it gets and it is very good!

Status
Not open for further replies.