Radio Shack Pro-84 Racing Scanner

kirdovada

Hello,
So I'm new to amateur radio , and I will be getting my Technician Class license soon and I was wondering if it's worth it for me to spend $45 on a this radio scanner that includes a headset and a booklet for scanning the radio. I will not be using this for it's primary purpose of racing. I have absolutely no interest in racing. So, should I take up this deal, or should I wait and buy an actual ham radio that isn't just a scanner, but has both transmitting and receiving capabilities?
Thanks

rk911

Rich
Premium Subscriber
The Pro-84 is, essentially, a Pro-83 with a red case, NASCAR logo and headset. It will receive analog signals in several different bands (see the link), not just racing. If you're wanting it to listen to local ham repeaters or simplex ops then the $45 may be worth it. Does the radio work? Are there ham repeaters in your area or that serve your area? You might need to attach an externally mounted antenna to hear them. If your local police and fire are still on analog VHF or UHF you might be able to hear them as well.

Pro-84 Specs

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Hello,
So, should I take up this deal, or should I wait and buy an actual ham radio that isn't just a scanner,
Welcome to the RR forums:
As long as what you're looking to monitor is analog only you should be fine. This will do you no good for the digital modes (P25, DMR, NXDN, D-Star, Fusion, etc). I'd suggest using repeaterbook.com (more trusted than Radioreference in the ham radio world IMHO) to research the amateur repeaters in your area and make the determination for yourself whether your $45 investment is worth it for your needs.

Last edited:

kirdovada

Hello,
So I'm new to amateur radio , and I will be getting my Technician Class license soon and I was wondering if it's worth it for me to spend $45 on a this radio scanner that includes a headset and a booklet for scanning the radio. I will not be using this for it's primary purpose of racing. I have absolutely no interest in racing. So, should I take up this deal, or should I wait and buy an actual ham radio that isn't just a scanner omegle xender , but has both transmitting and receiving capabilities?
Thanks
i got this..

N8IAA

Hello,
So I'm new to amateur radio , and I will be getting my Technician Class license soon and I was wondering if it's worth it for me to spend $45 on a this radio scanner that includes a headset and a booklet for scanning the radio. I will not be using this for it's primary purpose of racing. I have absolutely no interest in racing. So, should I take up this deal, or should I wait and buy an actual ham radio that isn't just a scanner, but has both transmitting and receiving capabilities?
Thanks
To listen to VHF/UHF frequencies it will work. Great way to hear the repeaters.!