Radio Shack pro 93 programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malichi

Hi I am new to the board in search of someone that could help me program my old scanner. I know a lot has changed in scanners. I just pulled my scanner out of the closet and whatever I can hear, regular or trunking in my area would be great. In the last 6 months around 529 and barker cypress everyday I hear sirens, helicopters huvering and I am becoming concerned and would like to know what is going on in this area. Many years ago I tried to understand programming and the frequencies but gave up. If someone could program my scanner if possible I would be willing to pay resonable amount. Any help would be great. Thanks

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
Well more and more your area is slowly switching to digital. Texas DPS is all digital (which the Pro93 is not). Most of the stuff in and around Harris County is still on this Motorola trunking system (an analog one) which your scanner will track. Cy Fair VFD has a few talkgroups though they have more conventional frequencies as seen on the Harris County page. Someone from that area can recommend which site to program in. It looks like your scanner will cover most local stuff for now.

davidbond21

I would give this a try. That is Don Starr's Win93 radio programming software for the radio shack Pro-93 scanner, and you can download and use it absolutely free. This will make programming your scanner, both conventional and trunking systems, a snap compared to doing it by hand. The only thing you'll need is the programming cable from radio shack and you're good to go. Not only will you then get your scanner working, but you'll be able to program it however you feel and be able to make changes as necessary in the future; and when digital comes to your area in force, you'll be knowledgeable enough to program your future digital scanner as well.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Pro-93

The only thing you'll need is the programming cable from radio shack and you're good to go.
WIN93 is the way to go. However, the cable from Radio Shack (20-047) is now $35. If your computer has the older style COM ports, you can use the older COM version of this cable. It is a lot cheaper, but no longer sold new. You might check the Classified section here and the typical places to find someone selling a cable for a lot less.

You certainly can program the trunking stuff by hand, it does take a long time just to pound on the keys. I did it with the 1000 channel scanners. Figure out what you want programmed first, then do the programming (or do a little each day).

Malichi

Thank You for the response. I Used to have the old data cable. I have searched high and low and cannot find it. I will have to go and buy the new style. I have downloaded the program. Could someone post if possible the frequencies including trunking and talk groups for this area. And last could someone screen shot the program and possible label what information goes where and maybee I will start to understand how to program. Showing where to put trunking and talk groups. Thanks again. Maybee this will become a new hobby.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
I'm not near my computer with win93 on it but I can start a little instructional blurp:

On the "Channels" tab (I believe it's "Channels") you will see 10 "pages" (0-9) that correspond to your scanning banks. For a trunked system you will need to do multiple steps:

First, change the mode from Conv--->EDACS--->Moto (I think those are your only 3 choices in the drop down). For the HCRRS TRS you will select "Moto" (or maybe MOT).

Second, you will program the actual trunking frequencies (in order) down the column. Skip the first line (00 I think; this might only be mandatory for EDACS systems BUT it won't hurt for MOTO either- until someone else clarifies or I get back to my house to check). Program the site's frequencies in order making sure to change each frequency's mode to "MOT." After you programmed in your trunking frequencies you have two options:

1. Scan in "open" mode for any talkgroup to use that site (not recommended- this is a busy system and will overcrowd your memory quick).

2. Scan in "closed" mode. This means it will only pickup the talkgroups you programmed in to the scanner and ignores what is not programmed. Within the listening bank (0-9) you have 5 sub-banks on trunking systems (don't apply to conventional). Within this sub-bank you can program specific agencies and turn them on/off individually within the bank:

Example: If you have the "Clodine" site (near Katy) programmed in on Bank 1, you can assign Fort Bend SO to sub-bank 1, KatyPD to sub-bank 2, KatyFD to sub-bank 3 and so on (this allows you more flexibility/selectivity in monitoring).

Third, programming talkgroups: check out the little box in the lower right hand corner. You should have a "Tag," "ID" and "L/O" (and maybe "Delay"). Program each you want to hear (or lockout) in this box, and use the hexadecimal/decimal value you see in the RR database (make sure the one you input is correlating with the hex/dec slection box in win93). For an EDACS trunk system it might allow AFS format (but for uniformity's sake I always use decimal- the easiest).

This should get you going until I can get back to home and take a screenshot- in the meantime someone else might cover it.

Malichi

Thanks to all that have responded. I am going to radio shack this afternoon to purchase new cable. I will give it my best on programming. If I have any other questions I will post. Thanks again.

Malichi

Ok I purchased the cable. I have downloaded some frequencies. Not sure If if the trunked are right. I would probably need a screen capture. If I got the premium subscription could I download to this scanner? Thanks again for the help.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
If I got the premium subscription could I download to this scanner? Thanks again for the help.

No. Win93 does not allow importing.

What makes you think you aren't trunking right? Which Site did you program in? A screenshot could help.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
Here is an example of programming I whipped up for the Tomball site of HCRRS. A few things to notice:

1. the "closed" checkbox up by the "Name: Tomball." This is where you close a bank to receive only the talkgroups you have programmed in.

2. the dropdown next to that is for "Conv-MOT-EDACS," again make sure "MOT" is selected.

3. the bottom right corners show the talkgroup setup. The checked boxes are the sub-banks that are enabled. If they were unchecked you wouldn't be able to hear them during scanning. The dotted circle is the particular sub-bank you are viewing at that moment in programming. To program sub-bank 1-4 just click on the circle and a blank 20 talkgroup slots appear.

4. the alpha-tags and name slots are at your discretion. It only affects what flashes up as the scanner pauses on that frequency (or talkgroup in the instance of a trunking system).

Edit: forgot to add- I'm still not sure about whether you need to leave the first slot of trunking systems open (in this case Bank 0 Ch 00) or if it just applies to EDACS. I think it just applies to EDACS but it won't hurt to do it this way for a Moto system.

Attachments

• pro93 example.jpg
    pro93 example.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 1,558
Last edited:

Malichi

Thanks for the info again. I tried to screen capture but could not. Windows xp I know how but not the same in vista. Anyways I have a couple of questions. I did program trunked channels, Houston and Clodine. I can bearly hear them where I am located. Barker Cypress and 529 area. Do I need a better antenna or is there other trunked frequencies for this area. I went closer into town and could here them better. Can I not use scan mode for trunked frequencies. I guess what I am looking for with the scanner I have is, either stronger antenna or all the correct frequencies for my area to start with. Once I have this down then I will start programming other areas in the Houston area for when I am in that area. I do not want to buy a new scanner until digital is standard.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
Malichi,

As for your area- it looks like Clodine is the best site (to tell you the truth, no site looks like it serves your area really well. A better antenna would always help (the higher the better). Someone from closer should be able to give you better advice, but because of the title of this thread they might not be paying attention since it is not Harris County specifc. It couldn't hurt to start a new thread.

As for the scanning, you can use "Scan" mode for trunking. Your scanner has three modes: manual, scan, and programming. From the scan mode you can press "Manual" and it will stop on whatever channel the scanner happened to be scanning at that time (it might happen to be the annoying control channel sound). In Manual mode your screen will have an "M" in the top left corner. From the manual mode you can press "Pgm" to program anything (you'll see a "P" in the upper left corner). To return to scanning press "Scan" and the screen will return to the:

- - -++-+ -+-

- = closed bank
+ = open bank

As for the digital comment: If you wait until it's mandatory you'll be behind the learning curve again. You're using a decent scanner but technology has taken them to different user interface designs that allow a much more intuitive experience in programming. The HCRRS trunked system is already making the switch to digital, Texas DPS is digital, most of the federal agencies have jumped in to it as well. It won't be long...

Status
Not open for further replies.