Radio Shack Pro-97 vs Pro-106

Status
Not open for further replies.

john_p_bowen

I have had my Pro-97 for almost two years, a couple of months ago I got the Pro-106 because it was able to decode the digital trunked frequencies.
However I feel the Pro-106 does not receive about half of the frequencies I had programed in my old Pro-97.
I live in the center of Davidson County, NC with my Pro-97 I could receive county fire, sheriff and EMS very clearly as I can with my Pro-106. However I can not pick up the traffic on the Lexington City police on my Pro-106 as clearly as on my Pro-97 (its in the 460's frequency area).
I do not receive any of the Guildford county fire or EMS ( theses are 150's frequency range) which I can on my Pro-97, OK it has some static but I can understand it, my Pro-106 does not even stop on that frequency when scanning (and I have set the squelch correctly).
Also I do not receive any air traffic control frequencies like I could with my Pro-97.
I was wondering if this is a problem with my Pro-106 (since I did not buy it new and it looks heavily used) or if its a common problem with Pro-106's).

I have had my Pro-97 for almost two years, a couple of months ago I got the Pro-106 because it was able to decode the digital trunked frequencies.
However I feel the Pro-106 does not receive about half of the frequencies I had programed in my old Pro-97.
I live in the center of Davidson County, NC with my Pro-97 I could receive county fire, sheriff and EMS very clearly as I can with my Pro-106. However I can not pick up the traffic on the Lexington City police on my Pro-106 as clearly as on my Pro-97 (its in the 460's frequency area).
I do not receive any of the Guildford county fire or EMS ( theses are 150's frequency range) which I can on my Pro-97, OK it has some static but I can understand it, my Pro-106 does not even stop on that frequency when scanning (and I have set the squelch correctly).
Also I do not receive any air traffic control frequencies like I could with my Pro-97.
I was wondering if this is a problem with my Pro-106 (since I did not buy it new and it looks heavily used) or if its a common problem with Pro-106's).

Sometimes the 800MHz Antenna will help on the 460 range for your Pro 106. As for the 150 freq range you may need a roof antenna possibly.

robbinsj2

Is the global attenuator on? If the display shows a "G" then press FUNC-ATT (I think, don't have my 106 with me so I'm going from memory here) to turn off the attenuator.

john_p_bowen

I do have a 800MHz antenna and that did not help, I also turned on the global attenuator and that made no difference.
However I have realized that when I push the antenna (at the base where it connects to the radio) towards the front of the radio I do receive some of the frequencies, I think something might be damaged inside the radio. Do you know if this is fixable and if so what I need to do to repair it?

I do have a 800MHz antenna and that did not help, I also turned on the global attenuator and that made no difference.
However I have realized that when I push the antenna (at the base where it connects to the radio) towards the front of the radio I do receive some of the frequencies, I think something might be damaged inside the radio. Do you know if this is fixable and if so what I need to do to repair it?

That may be the BNC Connector which is pretty common for the PRO 106. I am not sure how much it may cost to repair. Maybe between $50 and $65 dollars.

Where can I purchase a new BNC connector for the scanner?
You can get it at your local radio shack. Search Result

I do not know which is the correct one, but I believe it is a male standard BNC Connector. But I'm sure somebody does here on this forum. They do not cost much. Hopefully that is all it is.

Ok it is a male connector standard BNC

Last edited:

aar9sm

From my experience the 106 is not that great at Uhf or Vhf signals but seems to shine in the 800 Mhz area. I. Have compared it on same antenna using the Bct15 and the BC396T and both of them stop on the Uhf Vhf freqs that the Pro106 does not seem to hear at all. On the other hand the 106 does very well on the 800Mhz area doing better than both the 396 and 15.
The Bnc did come loose on some of the early models,you can take it apart and tighten the screw maybe add some lock tight.

Mike

Septa3371CSX1

I've had my Pro 106 for two years now. Never had any major issues with it. It even works good on VHF low band as I'm now using it as my DXing scanner since it automatically searches for the CTCSS/DCS tones. Don't use it for the Air Band but it performs okay there as well. VHF and UHF it works good on as well - most of the stuff I listen to on a regular is UHF T-band and 800. 800 it is very good on.

The BNC connector on my 106 (date code 12A08) is a little loose but not as loose as the one on my Pro 97 is. I actually just got a 164 to replace the 97 as the antenna connection issue was getting on my nerves and testing my patience. From now on I'm not going to change or remove antennas so I don't need to worry about this issue again.

john_p_bowen

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

My scanner still picks up the 800MHz digital trunk frequncies pretty good. But I think it must be the BNC connecetor because on my Pro-97 I can recieve 2 NOAA weather stations and I only recieve one on my Pro-106 unless I pull the antenna forward then I recieve the other station. But it does not make sence to me why I can still recieve the 800MHz frequencies fine.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

My scanner still picks up the 800MHz digital trunk frequncies pretty good. But I think it must be the BNC connecetor because on my Pro-97 I can recieve 2 NOAA weather stations and I only recieve one on my Pro-106 unless I pull the antenna forward then I recieve the other station. But it does not make sence to me why I can still recieve the 800MHz frequencies fine.
Hard to say. Are you close to any towers? You may get a strong signal because of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.